History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Remigius

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hethersett, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5991 / 52°35'56"N

Longitude: 1.1892 / 1°11'21"E

OS Eastings: 616082

OS Northings: 304918

OS Grid: TG160049

Mapcode National: GBR VGP.1HK

Mapcode Global: WHLSG.7XKW

Entry Name: Church of St Remigius

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373115

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226930

Location: Hethersett, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hethersett

Built-Up Area: Hethersett

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hethersett St Remigius

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hethersett

Listing Text

TG 10 SE HETHERSETT NORWICH ROAD
(south-east side)
5/45 Church of St. Remigius
26.11.59
II*

Parish church, C14, restored 1874, flint with some erratics, stone
dressings, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave with two roof lines,
chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, north porch.
4-stage west tower with lead fleche and embattled parapet; 5-stepped diagonal
buttresses and plinth with flint chequered flushwork: western buttresses
with cusped niches; renewed 3-light west window breaking string course,
Decorated tracery, cusped niche above; second stage with slits to all 4
faces (that to east now within nave); third stage with clockface to north;
C14 2-light tall openings breaking string course, ogee-headed lights and
decorated tracery. Internal stair to south-west angle having pierced
quatrefoil lights; some bricks within flintwork. Nave: restored 1874, 3
bays to west with slate roof, 2 bays to east with lower pitched roof of
lead, gable between with added studwork and barge boards. Clerestorey
2-light openings all of 1874, 6 each to north and south of 2 lights under
a quatrefoil. 3 to west under basket heads, 3 to east with 4-centred arches
and quatrefoils. North porch: 2 storeys, broken flint, lead roof and gable
parapet; Perpendicular arch with side shafts having salamanders to capitals;
angel stops to hood and angels within spandrels; 2-light opening above with
panel tracery, empty niches to left and right. Porch returns with 2-light
openings with panel tracery renewed, east return with stone shield bearing
Passion symbols. Porch interior with tierceron vault with sculptured bosses,
the ribs spring from corbels with mythical beasts. Renewed perpendicular
doorway with a double-leaved door having wrought iron decorative panels.
North aisle with 4 renewed openings of 2 ogee-headed lights under a
quatrefoil; south aisle similar but with 4 large stepped brick buttresses
and stepped string course running into square hood mould of 4-centred south
doorway; both aisles with similar west openings. Chancel and transepts
rebuilt 1874 (the chancel having been in ruins since C16). Facings of field
flints; transepts attached to aisles with straight buttresses; diagonal
buttresses to east transepts and to chancel. Transept openings and north
and south openings to chancel of 2 trefoil-headed lights under a quatrefoil.
3-light east window of early C14 with Decorated tracery. Gable crosses
to chancel, east nave and porch. Interior: 5 bay arcade north and south
with quatrefoil piers and double hollow chamfered arches; Perpendicular
tower arch with semi-circular jambs, all painted with floral decoration
and texts 1866; seating of 1857. Roof renewed C19. Chancel arch and arches
to transepts with C19 quatrefoil jambs and double hollow chamfered arches.
Chancel with angle piscina in C13 style with red marble colonette. C14
trefoil headed piscina to south aisle. Octagonal font with varied cusped
figures to faces, bowl supported by central column and 8 small limestone
colonettes. High doorway to tower stair in north-west angle with pointed
arch and medieval boarded door. Mural monument in south aisle to Isaac
Motham 1703/4 by W. Stanton, inscription flanked by Corinthian columns under
broken segmental pediment containing achievement, putti at base. 13 Tournai
marble ledger slabs 1633-1816, many heraldic, including 1816 to "John Luke
Iselin Esq. a native of the City of Bazil in Switzerland ... Eminent Merchant
and Manufacturer in Norwich". Rails to north and south aisle chapels of
early spade-headed bench ends; C17 base to south aisle Table.


Listing NGR: TG1608204918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.