History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ford End

A Grade II Listed Building in Cringleford, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.6061 / 52°36'22"N

Longitude: 1.2453 / 1°14'43"E

OS Eastings: 619843

OS Northings: 305875

OS Grid: TG198058

Mapcode National: GBR VGK.PMT

Mapcode Global: WHMTM.3R8F

Entry Name: Ford End

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226898

Location: Cringleford, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR4

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cringleford

Built-Up Area: Cringleford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cringleford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)
2/13 No 4 Ford End

House, C17 with additions of 1929. Brick, black unglazed pantiles, 3 cells,
2 storeys and attic, shaped gables. Principal facade to road to west: brick,
formerly colourwashed, platband, moulded brick kneelers; right internal stack
rebuilt. Flush sashes with glazing bars, some renewed, 2 each to ground
and first floor of first cell, one over doorway, one to ground floor of third
cell with 4 x 4 panes, glazing bars and segmental head, 1 blank opening and
sash to first floor. Central doorway with later inserted narrow flanking
sashes, pediment and square Tuscan columns, panelled reveals; upper part
of door glazed, lower part with 2 raised panels; 2 gabled roof dormers with
casements. 3 bay 2 storeyed addition of 1929 to left to match, platband
and black glazed pantiles, shaped gable with end internal stack: stack
between C17 build and 1929 addition rebuilt. Right return: platband, first
floor with 2 oval openings with leaded panes. Rear: pantiles; 3-cell C17
build to left formerly colourwashed; flush sashes with glazing bars, some
renewed, first cell with 2 to ground floor, 1 to first floor; central cell
with C18 classical doorway, 9 panelled door of 1929, narrow sash to right,
sash to first floor, raking dormer to attic. Stair turret of 1929 to third
cell of Flemish bond, hipped roof, stair window of sash with glazing bars
having Gothick pointed panes to top. Forward wing to right dated 1929 in
iron numerals; shaped gable, Flemish bond, small openings to match right
return, sashes with glazing bars and flat arches. Interior: C17 butt purlin
roof with collars, timber studs to attic partitions. Most of interior of
1929, openwell closed string staircase with turned balusters, and carving
in C17 style to strings; rear wing of 1929 with moulded ceiling beams and
joists, stone fireplace with strapwork and festoon carving.

Listing NGR: TG1984305875

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.