History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Bixley, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5899 / 52°35'23"N

Longitude: 1.3237 / 1°19'25"E

OS Eastings: 625235

OS Northings: 304313

OS Grid: TG252043

Mapcode National: GBR WJ5.RGF

Mapcode Global: WHMTV.95LB

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Last Amended: 7 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373154

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227140

Location: Bixley, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Bixley

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Arminghall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bramerton

Listing Text

BIXLEY CHURCH CLOSE
TG 20 SE
(west side)
5/2
Arminghall
26/11/59
Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as Church
of St Mary the Virgin
Arminghall)
II
Parish church. Bequest 1474 to tower. Mainly C13 but almost all renewed in
restoration of 1876. Flint with ashlar quoins and plain tile roofs. West
tower, nave and continuous chancel. 3 stage unbuttressed west tower, all
details 1876. 2-light Y tracery west window. Wide ringing chamber lancets
and 2-light louvred Decorated belfry windows. Gabled south porch of lancets
moulded entrance arch and side lights. South side illuminated through one
2-light C19 window east of porch, a lancet, a 2-light Perpendicular window,
a lancet to chancel with, below it, a low side window, and finally a paired
lancet at the east end of chancel wall. North side has a blocked north doorway
with wave mouldings. One lancet each side of doorway, a 2-light cusped Y
window further east and 2 lancets to chancel. There is one stepped buttress
to nave north and south. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Interior. Tower
arch with roll moulding and roll with fillet. No chancel arch. C19 boarded
nave and chancel roof enriched with cusped timbers. King post stands on arched
timber chancel screen with traceried pierced spandrels. Plain font. 8
poppyhead bench ends to C19 chancel stalls. Nave benches by J.P. Seddon. 8
Bench sedilia and arched piscina in chancel. Wall monument to John Herne 1697
of stone and painted plaster. Black inscription panel with 2 columns of latin
text framed by painted foliate scrolls with a helmet at the top centre. An
open segmental pediment over helmet. Apron of further scrolled foliage and
more inscription in predella panel immediately above.


Listing NGR: TG2523504313

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.