This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6134 / 52°36'48"N
Longitude: 1.3294 / 1°19'45"E
OS Eastings: 625499
OS Northings: 306936
OS Grid: TG254069
Mapcode National: GBR WGM.Q7
Mapcode Global: WHMTN.DK9W
Entry Name: Whitlingham Hospital Blocks 04, 05, 06
Listing Date: 31 October 1985
Last Amended: 14 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227236
Location: Trowse with Newton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Trowse with Newton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Kirby Bedon and Whitlingham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG20NE TROWSE WITH NEWTON KIRBY ROAD
(North side, off)
1832-/2/98 Whitlingham Hospital blocks
04, 05, 06 (Formerly Listed
31.10.85 as: Whitlingham Hospital
Conservatory and attached
Country house, now hospital, with attached conservatory , service wing and billiard room. House c1865, by HE Coe of Cambridge for Sir Robert Harvey. Acquired 1872 by 11 Colman, following Harvey's suicide. Service wing, billiard room and alterations 1902-05, by Edward Boardman. Conservatory restored late C20. House, red brick with ashlar dressings and g'!)bled and hipped plain tile roofs with coped gables and finials, and prominent multiple ridge stacks. Renaissance Revival style. 2 storeys plus attics; 5 window range. Windows are mainly leaded cross-casements with stone mullions and transoms. Entrance front, to north, has a recessed centre wit? small gable, side bays with parapets, and larger end bays with gables. Regular fenestration. Large central porch dated 1905, with round arched double doors and fanlight, and flat roof behind balustrade. Right gabled wing has a square bay window, 2 storeys, with cross-mullioned windows and balustrade. T o right, a set back range, 2 windows, with C20 lift tower. Right return has two canted bay windows, 2 storeys, with balustrades. Above them, gables with 3-light windows. Garden front, 7 windows, has a recessed centre with a large gable, and projecting end bays each with a large and a small gable. The larger outer gables have canted bay windows, 2 storeys, and 4-light windows above. Central Tuscan portico, 3 bays, with balustrade, and openings mainly glazed. Conservatory , cast iron and wrought iron on brick plinth, 10 bays, has an apsidal end and flanking aisles, that to north full length, that to south 5 bays. Central double doors with elaborate scrolled grifle in front of the glass, and semicircular steps. Main uprights have volute capitals supporting a scrolled frieze and dentillated cornice. Below the cornice, opening oval lights. Above it, rectangular lights. Steep pitched roof with clerestory with oval lights. Service wing, Tudor Revival style, has brick ground floor and sham timber framing with roughcast nogging above. Plain tile roofs with similar stacks to the house. 2 storeys plus attics. Billiard room, to west, Arts and Crafts style, red brick with timber framed gable and brick nogging. Plain tile roof. Interiors: house has a central hallway with a screen with central rusticated round arch and double columns, flanked by sidelights. Open well wooden stair with square-turned balustrade, coved ceiling with swags and foliage border. Ground floor room on garden front with elliptical arched plaster vault with strapwork, and Renaissance Revival chimneypiece. Matching bookcases in recess. Ground floor room to north has considerable strapwork ornament. Conservatory interior has semicircular T -section trusses on brackets. Quatrefoil columns to aisles, with volute capitals and traceried spandrels. Stone floor with geometrical patterns. Opposite the apse, a round arched fountain, ashlar with mosaic panel, foliage. spandrels, and mask spout. Above it a round arched arcaded window, 3 lights, and above again, an ashlar balcony on brackets, with an elaborate wrought iron railing. Billiard room has terracotta plaques, C16, from Arminghall Hall, Norfolk, a C15 stone doorcase with 4-centred arch and relief panel and moulded door, and re-used linenfold panelling.
Listing NGR: TG2549906936
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings