History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Implement Shed with Granary Loft and Adjoining Cottage at Home Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Starston, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4128 / 52°24'46"N

Longitude: 1.2859 / 1°17'9"E

OS Eastings: 623569

OS Northings: 284502

OS Grid: TM235845

Mapcode National: GBR VJY.MY7

Mapcode Global: VHL94.7MN6

Entry Name: Implement Shed with Granary Loft and Adjoining Cottage at Home Farm

Listing Date: 26 June 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373391

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226082

Location: Starston, South Norfolk, Norfolk, IP20

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Starston

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Starston St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Harleston

Listing Text


1.
5321 STARSTON CHURCH HILL
(east side)
Implement shed with
granary loft and
adjoining cottage
at fibre Farm
TM 28 SW 21/1086

II

2.
Circa 1840, a model farn by Samuel Taylor, a gentleman farmer with architectual
interests and a friend of J C London. Designed for his uncle Meadows Taylor,
and illustrated in London's Encyclopaedia of Rural Architecture. Only the
implement shed and granary range and adjoining cottage are included. The
remainder of the farm is situated to the north-west and comprises a series
of single-storey ranges planned around stock yards with a cart-tray through
the middle. Built of flint cobbles with red brick dressings and with low
pitched hipped and gabled roofs of slate. The implement shed is a long
range with a weatherboarded granary loft above, supported on timber posts,
with low brick wall dividing each bay. Adjoining the south of implement
shed there is a cottage of flint with red brick dressings, brick dentil
eaves and a slate hipped roof, segmental-headed windows with casements and
a plank door. The house, Stanton Place also by S Taylor has been demolished
but was situated to the south of the farm buildings.


Listing NGR: TM2356984502

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.