History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hoveton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7119 / 52°42'42"N

Longitude: 1.4173 / 1°25'2"E

OS Eastings: 630924

OS Northings: 318174

OS Grid: TG309181

Mapcode National: GBR WGR.YZR

Mapcode Global: WHMT9.R329

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373437

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224390

Location: Hoveton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hoveton

Built-Up Area: Hoveton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hoveton St John

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Wroxham

Listing Text

HOVZTON HORNING ROAD
TG 31 NW
(south side)
7/59 Church of St. John
16:4:55
- II*

Parish church. Nave and chancel C12 in origin but remodelled C15. West tower
1765. Restored 1890 by H.J. Green, Diocesan architect. Flint with ashlar
dressings and some carstone. Tower of brick. Roofs of black glazed pantiles.
3 stage tower with stepped diagonal western buttresses rising to belfry stage.
2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Blank square recesses to ringing
chamber and string courses between floors. Datestone 1765 to west. 4-centred
louvred belfry windows. Corbelled string course below plain parapet. Nave
windows of 3 lights under 4-centred arches and Perpendicular : 4 to south,
2 to north. One brick and flint stepped buttress west of arched south door.
At eaves timber tie plates. 2 2-light square headed cusped chancel south
windows, no chancel north windows. Brick dentil eaves cornice of 1890. At
east end a brick and flint buttress to both sides. 3-light cusped east
window. Below is memorial plaque to George Brown 1757. Semi-circular grated
hole in north chancel leads to crypt. Bulge of rood stairs at north nave
anti at north-west corner carstone quoins. Gabled north porch, partly
rendered. Double chamfered arch and hood. Blocked side windows. Dentil
eaves cornice. Inner doorway C18 : keeled mouldings on moulded bases and
hood on label stops. Interior. Wave moulded tower arch with semi-circular
responds, polygonal capitals and bases. Octagonal C15 font, the stem with
2 ogeed lights to each panel. Under bowl crudely carved angels. Bowl with
panels of shields within cusping. Painted Royal Arms over south door. Seating
1890 except 3 benches retain 6 C15 poppyhead bench ends. Scissor braced roof
1890. C16 chancel screen of 2 bays right and left of 4-centred opening, each
bay further divided into 2. Traceried dado and in head a continuous frieze
of ogeed tracery. Double chamfered continuous chancel arch. Plastered chancel
roof.


Listing NGR: TG3092418174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.