History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cley Next the Sea, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9551 / 52°57'18"N

Longitude: 1.0453 / 1°2'42"E

OS Eastings: 604656

OS Northings: 344083

OS Grid: TG046440

Mapcode National: GBR T8Q.M31

Mapcode Global: WHLQN.1Z0G

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 20 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224573

Location: Cley Next the Sea, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cley Next The Sea

Built-Up Area: Cley next the Sea

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cley St Margaret St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Cley next the Sea

Listing Text

TG 0444 CLEY NEXT THE SEA COAST ROAD

8/21 The Old Hall
20.2.52.
II


Large House, C16/17. Windows altered 1948, stair turret of 1956. Flint
with brick dressings, pantiles. 7 roof bays plus gable end chimney bays,
the 3 bays to the south-east at a slight angle. 2 storeys and attic. Garden
front to south-west: 5 windows, coursed galletted knapped flint with some
erratics and whole flints, central section rebuilt in pale knapped flint;
moulded brick eaves cornice renewed; internal end stacks, the two lozenge
shafts to the right renewed; 4-centred door and renewed doorway to centre
left; quoin to right half of building for ground floor only, of 3 thin
bricks and 2 flints alternating; 2 original openings to right each of 2
lights having square brick hood moulds, moulded surrounds and mullions;
small opening below with wooden shutter; opening to right blocked with whole
flint. All windows leaded casements of 1948; openings of 1948 to match
original with moulded brick surrounds and mullions, 5 to first floor of
2 and 3 lights with single light at far right, large flat roofed bay window
to ground floor left of 1 + 5 + 1 lights; central roof dormer of 1948.
Single storeyed forward extension of c.1860 to end bay at right, central
part glazed door to left return. Right gable: one window per floor and
attic left gable two 2-light attic windows, 2 small windows to first floor.
North-east front: C18 2-bay addition to left under hipped roof, 3-light
window with transom to ground floor, 4-light window to first floor both
of 1948; large circular stair turret across doorway to centre, uncoursed
flint with random bricks, parapet of concrete urn balusters, doorway to
ground floor, cross window to first floor both in red brick to match other
openings. Interior: ground floor of 2 large tall rooms separated by thin
partition and step. South-east room: massive principal beams, the bridging
beam showing angle change of house, large gable-end fireplace, part of C16
oak screen with 4 centred doorway and 4 centred opening with shutter hooks,
part of balustrade with splat balusters both repositioned. Figure tiller
from French collier wrecked 1913 as handrail to 1860 extension. North-west
room: principal beams with massive ovolo moulding; C17 panelling with
strapwork frieze and screen brought in from elsewhere 1948, 2 4-centred
doorways to partition between rooms; opposing doorways against partition,
door to southwest with box bracing and wooden lock, doorway to north-east
now internal with glazed fanlight; large stone 4-centred mantelpiece arch
with vine decoration in spandrels to north-west gable, panelled as pulpit
to Cley Church (qv 9/18) of 1611. C18 extension to east with moulded
repositioned fireplace, panelling. First floor renewed 1948: 4-centred stone
fireplace to north-west gable, south-east room panelled in pine and oak,
original hinges and fittings to door of corner closet. Stair turret with
circular lantern above. Roof: single clasped purlins, curved wind braces,
no ridge piece. Single storey extension to east once dairy now incorporates
archway to yard.


Listing NGR: TG0465644083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.