This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8812 / 52°52'52"N
Longitude: 1.3526 / 1°21'9"E
OS Eastings: 625679
OS Northings: 336794
OS Grid: TG256367
Mapcode National: GBR WDR.6T2
Mapcode Global: WHMS9.RV91
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224706
Location: Southrepps, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Southrepps
Built-Up Area: Southrepps
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Southrepps St James
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2536 SOUTHREPPS CHURCH STREET
11/44 Church of St. James
Parish church. Medieval. Flint with stone dressings. Graded slate roof.
West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Embattled tower of 4 stages with
setback buttresses (its 'emendation' mentioned in wills from 1431-1467)
Flushwork to buttresses with embattled tracery. Flushwork basecourse with
wavy frieze above with shells and blank shields. West doorway with paired
shafts having polygonal abaci and bases with a continuous inner order and
continuous order between the shafts; arch with rolls with hollows between;
encircled cusped quatrefoils with shields in the spandrels. Doorway flanked
by niches with shafts supporting a rib-vaulted canopy; wavy frieze over
with shells and shields. Tall 6-light west window with panel tracery;
alternate stone and flint voussoirs; hood mould continuing to form string
course. Stair turret to north-west corner with cross and slit lights.
Square ringing chamber openings with rows of panel tracery forming a
reticulated grid. 3-light transomed bell-openings with panel tracery.
Buttressed nave of 4 bays was previously aisled (aisles demolished 1791);
line of aisle roofs visible on east face of tower. Walls now C19 with
3 C19 Decorated 3-light windows to south. To the north central C19 chimney,
Y-tracery window; some C19 brick to buttresses. Rood stair at angle of
nave and chancel supported on a 2-centred chamfered arch with brick above.
Buttressed chancel of 3 bays with angle buttresses to the eastern
corners. To the south 3 3-light restored windows with cusped reticulated
tracery that to the centre bay with higher sill to accommodate priest's
door; sill band with figures to centre bay; doorway with 2 continuous hollow
chamfers with a roll between; hood mould with figures stops. 6 light C19
Decorated east window. South porch possibly moved after demolition of
aisles incorporates Medieval archway, restored, with shafts with polygonal
abaci and a continuous outer order. Blocked lights in east and north walls.
C19 nave doorway. Interior. Tall tower arch with pair shafts with
polygonal bases and abaci, with a continuous roll moulding between the
shafts and an outer continuous roll moulding. Tower buttresses visible
inside. C14 nave arcades of 4 bays still in place; octagonal piers, bases
and abaci; 2 hollow chamfered orders to arch; hood moulds with figure
stops. C19 roof. Polygonal shafts and abaci to chancel arch.
Rere-arches of chancel windows have thin shafts with foliated capitals;
hood moulds with figure stops. The east rere-arch is restored with foliated
stops. l½ ogee arches of piscina and sedilia, cut by window. Sill band
with figures over priest's door. Rere-arch has 5 orders of roll and fillet
moulding with deeply cut hollows, hood with figure stops. North door
C19. C14 glass in small south windows. Good C19 roof with arched
wind-braces and crown posts on C19 foliated corbels. Remains off rood stair.
Medieval screen- with restored upper parts. Reset marble monument in north
nave wall to Jane Barton d.1726 and William Barton d.1740 with Corinthian
pilasters, an arched head with cherubs; foliated apron with cherub's head.
Painted arms of George III. Restored octagonal font with quatrefoils
Listing NGR: TG2567936794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings