This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8888 / 52°53'19"N
Longitude: 1.1954 / 1°11'43"E
OS Eastings: 615069
OS Northings: 337150
OS Grid: TG150371
Mapcode National: GBR VC0.WKD
Mapcode Global: WHLR3.BNH8
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223271
Location: Matlask, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Matlask
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Barningham Winter St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
GRESHAM NORTH BARNINGHAM
TG 13 NE
5/31 Church of St.Peter
Parish church. Redundant. Medieval. Flint and iron-bound conglomerate with
brick dressings. Tile and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, north
porch and chancel. 2-stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses to west.
3-light west window with transom; cusped lights; panel tracery; hood mould.
Slit light to west with cusped head. 2-light bell-openings with quatrefoils
in head; obelisk, finials to battlements. Buttressed nave with brick-dressed
buttresses to south on larger flint rubble bases. Some conglomerate to south
west quoins and in south nave walling to top of buttresses; raised eaves.
South doorway with continuous chamfer; hood mould. Largely post-medieval
3-light window with curious intersecting tracery; hood mould. Conglomerate
quoins of earlier nave then 2-light square headed window with panel tracery
under hood mould. 3 bay aisle to north with brick buttresses. Y-tracery
window. Similar window to west. Eastern window to aisle of 2 lights,
square-headed with panel tracery, partly restored; hood mould. Unbuttressed
chancel of 2 bays. To south 2 square- headed 2-light windows, one with panel
tracery, one with ogee-headed lights, both under hood moulds. No openings
now to north but possibly one blocked light. Roof raised. East window of
3 cusped lights, the mullions rising to the head of the arch; under hood mould.
North porch to first nave bay; archway restored in 1895 with continuous
chamfer; hood mould, niche over. Nave doorway with continuous roll moulding;
hood mould with foliated tops. Interior. Nave arcade with octagonal shafts,
abaci and bases; 2 chamfered orders to arch. Niche with hood mould beside
south door. Nave and north aisle re-roofed in 1893. Curious rere-arch to
south nave window. Tower arch with polygonal shafts but these are moulded
to the nave; polygonal bases and capitals. Damaged Decorated piscina and
drop-sill sedilia. Some re-used poppy-head bench ends. Inset in nave floor
a 'rose window' pattern in stone and brick. Brass in floor of north aisle
to Henry Pagrave d.1516 and wife. Marble wall monument in chancel to Margaret
Pope d.1621 with angels holding back curtain of baldachino under which she
kneels; curving super-structure with segmental pediment topped by urn. Tomb
chest monument to John Palgrave d.1611; shields to chest; three small
allegorical figures topped by inscription; strapwork shoulders to architrave;
plain cornice. Marble monument to Sir Austin Palgrave d.1639 and wife. Base
with inscription topped by grey marble Tuscan columns supporting an almost
semicircular broken pediment; foliated scrolled shouldered architrave; this
all encloses two oval niches with lions-head at the cardinal points with busts
of Sir Austin and wife. Achievement over. C17 altar rail.
Listing NGR: TG1506937150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings