History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stiffkey Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stiffkey, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9477 / 52°56'51"N

Longitude: 0.9371 / 0°56'13"E

OS Eastings: 597426

OS Northings: 342963

OS Grid: TF974429

Mapcode National: GBR S7F.9PY

Mapcode Global: WHLQS.C5GK

Entry Name: Stiffkey Old Hall

Listing Date: 30 November 1951

Last Amended: 20 May 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223421

Location: Stiffkey, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR23

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Stiffkey

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Stiffkey St John and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Stiffkey

Listing Text

SCHEDULE

In the entry for:
STIFFKEY CHURCH STREET
TF 9742 (south side)

15/124 Stiffkey Old Hall
(formerly listed as
Old Hall)

30.11.51 II*

G.V.

The description shall be amended to read:

House. Date 1576 onwards. Additions and alterations of C17, C18, restored C20. Walls
flint, brick and stone dressings, red pantiled and plain tiled roofs. Fragment of a 'U'
plan house intended to be symmetrical about the courtyard.Two storeys, attics. Built for
Sir Nathaniel Bacon, with financial help from his father, Sir Nicholas. The W or kitchen
range and half of the N or Hall range survive; the Hall is ruinous and the E range
demolished. Distinctive round towers at NE (ruined), NW and SW angles, divided into
storeys by string courses with 2-light casement windows, parapets to N perhaps defensive.
N (hall) range N side: with mullioned and transomed windows, some C20. W range W front:
random fenestration, mostly C18 leaded casement windows of 3 lights to first floor.
Classical entrance surround c1911. Gable of hall range is expressed at NW mullioned and
transomed attic window, flanking stacks and central finial. Kitchen chimney breast
expressed externally, 2 stacks on eaves. At S rectangular stairs-tower with 2-light case-
ment windows arranged as risers. Courtyard: N Hall range: mullioned and transomed windows.
Hall screens passage with 4 centred arched doorway and C16 door marks entrance to roofless
hall. Stairs tower to NE angle, NW ruinous. Courtyard W range: ground floor mullioned
and transomed window, C18 casements above. Four centred doorcase arch. W range south
gable: divided into 3 storeys, mullioned and transomed window to each; coped brick parapet,
bracket kneelers; central stone finial; round tower at W. Interior rebuilt 1791; 1911
by Harry Redfern, 1978 by Bernard Feilden. W range has some 4 centred fireplaces,
internal timber framed partitions on first floor for service corridor; plaster barrel
vaulted attic chamber. Rectangular W stairs tower has newel running from floor to roof
height, but stairs not built here. N range: barrel vaulted attic, plaster stripped to
expose timbers. Deep 11" x 4" joists. Early example of country house with rooms served
by passages.

Country Life, 19 February 1916, p. 240
------------------------------------
STIFFKEY CHURCH STREET
TF 9742 (south side)

15/124 Stiffkey Old Hall
(formerly listed as
Old Hall)

30.11.51 II*

G.V.

House. Date 1576. Walls flint, brick and stone dressings, red pantiles.
Fragment of a 'U' plan house intended to be symmetrical about the courtyard.
Two storeys, attics. Built for Sir Nicholas Bacon, who closely supervised the
construction, halted by his death. The W or kitchen range and half of the N or
Hall range survive; the Hall is ruinous and the E range demolished. Distinctive
round towers at NE (ruined), NW and SW angles, divided into storeys by string
courses with 2-light casement windows, parapets to N perhaps defensive. N (hall)
range N side: with mullioned and transomed windows, some C20. W range W front:
random fenestration, mostly C18 leaded casement windows of 3 lights to first
floor. Classical entrance surround c1911. Gable of hall range is expressed
at NW mullioned and transomed attic window, flanking stacks and central finial.
Kitchen chimney breast expressed externally, 2 stacks on eaves. At S rectangular
stairs-tower with 2-light casement windows arranged as risers. Courtyard: N Hall
range: mullioned and transomed windows. Hall screens passage with 4 centred arched
doorway and C16 door marks entrance to roofless hall. Stairs tower to NE angle,
NW ruinous. Courtyard W range: ground floor mullioned and transomed wiwow, C18
casements above. Four centred doorcase arch. W range south gable: divided into
3 storeys, muliioned and tranosomed window to each; coped brick parapet, bracket
kneelers; central stone finial; round tower at W. Interior rebuilt 1791; 1911 by
Harry Redfern, 1978 by Bernard Feiden. W range has some 4 centred fireplaces,
internal timber framed partitions on first floor for service corridor; plaster barrel
vaulted attic chamber. Rectangular W stairs tower has newel running from floor to
roof height, but stairs not built here. N range: barrel vaulted attic, plaster
stripped to expose timbers.


Listing NGR: TF9742642963

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.