This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9499 / 52°56'59"N
Longitude: 0.8037 / 0°48'13"E
OS Eastings: 588456
OS Northings: 342842
OS Grid: TF884428
Mapcode National: GBR R5Y.01F
Mapcode Global: WHKPL.93YX
Entry Name: Holkham Hall
Listing Date: 30 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373659
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223347
Location: Holkham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR23
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Holkham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Holkham St Withburga
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HOLKHAM HOLKHAM PARK
5/32 Holkham Hall
Mansion. Begun 1734, published 1761, finished 1764, the seat of Thomas Coke,
later First Earl of Leicester, Designed to reflect his taste as a Grand Tourist.
By William Kent, executed and completed by Matthew Brettingham the Elder. Holkham
gault brick of exceptional quality. Slate roofs. Central block with 4 wings
divided by internal courtyards. Arranged as a Palladian villa on enlarged scale,
with references in towered central block to Inigo Jones's Wilton House. N front:
rusticated ground floor, 3 by pedimented central block with central Venetian window
recessed under brick semi-circular arch; 2 pedimented windows. Two flanking bays
and tower bays with similar Venetian window. Cornice, entablature recessed off
ridge. Towers with external storey and hipped roofs. Stacks recessed off ridge.
C19 plate glass to all windows on N Garden front (S) with rusticated ground floor.
Central hexastyle Corinthian portico, entablature with pediment, with six round-
headed windows, two pedimented windows either side and single Venetian window,
without superimposed arch, to towers. The glazing bars on this front have been
reinstated. At four comers two storey link blocks to four wings containing
chapel, kitchen, guest wing and private family wing. Each wing has identical
elevations: rusticated ground floor, 2 1/2 storey central block of 3 bays, 2 storey
flanking blocks of one bay, each pedimented. Each has 4 prominent eaves stacks to
central block and subsidiary stacks to flanking blocks.
Interior: the central block arranged as suite of rooms of parade on piano-nobile.
Central Stone Hall, an evocation of the Vitruvian so-called Egyptian Hall and of
the apsed and aisled antique basilica, with alabaster facings, a rich Ionic Order
from the Temple of Fortuna Virilis, Rome; coffered cove and compartmented ceiling.
To West the North Dining Room, the Sculpture gallery with Octagon rooms at N and S,
and on axis with the Stone Hall the Drawing Room with a deep cofferet vault.
Further Rooms of Parade to South.
Listing NGR: TF8845642842
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings