History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hickling, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7619 / 52°45'42"N

Longitude: 1.5779 / 1°34'40"E

OS Eastings: 641494

OS Northings: 324258

OS Grid: TG414242

Mapcode National: GBR XHQ.XCY

Mapcode Global: WHMT0.6VM1

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373694

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223648

Location: Hickling, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hickling

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hickling St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hickling

Listing Text

TG 42 SW HICKLING THE WALK
(north side)

6/13 Church of St. Mary
16.4.55

G.V. II*

Parish church. Mainly late C14, tower C15, restored 1875-76, tower restored
1890. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles
and chancel. 4 stage tower supported by angle buttresses with flushwork
decoration. Plinth with cusped wavy motif. Elaborately wave moulded west
doorway with shields in the jambs. Vegetative carved spandrels and square
surround, the frieze of which has a further row of shields. Above is 3-light
Perpendicular window also with shields in the jambs, carved spandrels and
a square surround. This window interrupts string course of second stage and
is below an ogeed cusped statuary niche. Ringing chamber with traceried
square ventilation panels. 2-light cusped belfry windows. Flushwork
crenellated parapet with trefoils and quatrefoils in panels. Nave with
stepped side buttresses, angled to corners. 4 side windows of 3 lights each
to aisles alternating between 4 petal motif and divergent supermullion type.
Aisle west windows are of petal form, east windows of supermullion design,
all renewed. Square 2 storey south porch with diagonal buttresses. Ogee
moulded entrance arch in square surround with carved spandrels. Statuary
niche and wall sundial above. Crenellated flushwork parapet extends to west
over polygonal parvis stair turret. One slit light east and west to first
floor. Moulded north doorway. Chancel very heavily restored. Priests' door
to south under depressed arch. 4-light east window of petal type. No
buttresses or flanking windows. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade with
polygonal capitals and bases. Double chamfered arches. C19 arch braced nave
roof. Aisle roofs with principals on arched braces to foliate corbels. Wave
moulded tower arch with circular responds on polygonal bases and with
polygonal crenellated capitals. C14 octagonal font. Stem and bowl panels
alternate between 2-light ogeed tracery and leaf motifs. Double chamfered
chancel arch on polygonal responds. At east end of north aisle a tomb chest
in 3 large and 4 small panels, the larger decorated with cartouches. 2 bay
C19 chancel roof on false hammerbeams. Wall monument to John Calthrop 1688
: bowed marble inscription panel between pair of Ionic columns supporting
entablature and achievement.


Listing NGR: TG4149424258

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.