History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lessingham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7996 / 52°47'58"N

Longitude: 1.5638 / 1°33'49"E

OS Eastings: 640334

OS Northings: 328407

OS Grid: TG403284

Mapcode National: GBR XHB.D5Y

Mapcode Global: WHMSS.ZWTL

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223667

Location: Lessingham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Lessingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hempstead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Lessingham

Listing Text

TG 42 NW LESSINGHAM CHURCH LANE
HEMPSTEAD

3/32 Church of St. Andrew
16.4.55
II*

Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 nave, altered C15 when aisles removed, C15
west tower. Restored 1878. Flint with ashlar dressings, the nave rendered.
Thatched roofs. 3 stage tower, undifferentiated on exterior. Diagonal
stepped west buttresses rise to ringing chamber. C19 3-light transomed west
window. Chamfered belfry windows, louvred. Crenellated parapet. 2-light
cusped nave west windows, that to north blocked. 2 storey south porch. Wave
moulded arched entrance below triple statuary niches. Central niche with
ogee. head, all cupsed and moulded. Outer niches formerly windows, now
blocked. Diagonal buttresses. Flushwork crenellated parapet. 3 3-light
restored Perpendicular nave windows separated by stepped buttresss. Wave
moulded north nave doorway. South chancel with 2 restored 2-light Y tracery
windows, a lancet and arched Priests' door. One stepped side buttress north
and south, angled buttresses to east. 3-light stepped lancet east window
under enclosing hood mould. One lancet to north chancel wall and low side
window of lancet form but with shouldered head. Interior. Wave moulded tower
arch on circular responds with high polygonal bases and polygonal capitals.
Hollow chamfered chancel arch with similar responds and bases cut to
accommodate screen. Boarded Cl9 nave roof on principal rafters and arched
braces to wall posts. 1 tier moulded butt purlins. C15 octagonal font.
Against stem are 4 lions sejant. Angel and animal heads under bowl. Bowl
panels alternate between rosettes and shields. Blocked parvis stair door
with 4-centred arch. Early C17 faceted pulpit on 4 legs and later cross
stretchers. Strapwork panels below and arcading above. Stairs have turned
newel and circular balusters. Early C17 reading desk of arcaded front panel
between turned posts. 2 thin turned balusters to returns. C15 screen of
2 subdivided bays right and left of 4centred opening. Tracery heads ogeed
below panel tracery. Dado further subdivided into 8 panels under Perpendicular
tracery. To north fragements of 6 painted saints, to south 7 painted saints.
C19 boarded chancel roof. C13 trefoiled piscina with hood mould. Plain
bench sedilia.


Listing NGR: TG4033428407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.