This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8335 / 52°50'0"N
Longitude: 1.1827 / 1°10'57"E
OS Eastings: 614488
OS Northings: 330964
OS Grid: TG144309
Mapcode National: GBR VCR.CV3
Mapcode Global: WHLRH.41GM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224061
Location: Itteringham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Itteringham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Itteringham with Mannington
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 13 SW
7/40 Church of St. Mary
Parish church, medieval, restored 1859. Flint with slate roof of 1824.
Tower, nave, chancel, south porch and ruined north chapel. Exterior:
unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages in coursed flint with stone dressings;
plain parapet; south side gargoyle; projecting stair turret to north side.
2-centred west window arch with central wooden mullion; wide bell openings
with multi-cusped heads. Tablet on south wall to William Load, 1734, and
wife Grace, 1739. Nave: rendered coursed flint with some iron conglomerate;
eaves rebuilt in brick. 2 C19 south windows of 2 and 3 lights. South
porch: rendered flint with stone dressings partly rebuilt in brick; plain
chamfered arch; single trefoil headed lights to each side; continuous
moulded doorway. Ledged and battened door with lozenge shaped iron plate
with ring, lattice bracing to rear dated 174- and wooden lock dated 1748.
East and south walls to chancel of coursed flint and iron conglomerate
with conglomerate quoins; eaves to south rebuilt in brick; central stepped
buttress to south; single trefoil headed light to right, 2-light window
tinder square head to left. Some bricks in east gable; top of east gable
rebuilt in knapped flint; original opening blocked by knapped flint; smaller
inserted C19 window of 3 lights with panel tracery. North chancel wall
rebuilt in brick over flint base; one 2-light window under square head.
North chapel of St. Mary in ruins; flint north wall and gable with opening
having internal brick dressings; foundations to west and east walls;
original arch to nave blocked with inserted C19 window of 'Y' tracery.
Interior: C19 king post roof; tower arch with chamfered jambs; pointed
segmental chancel arch with polygonal shafts; doorway to former roof loft,
north; wide piscina with cinque foil head and round shafts. C17 panelling
in Sanctuary. Plain octagonal font on octagonal stem with C17 cover.
Pulpit, probably C18, with figurehead of winged female. William IV
achievement over and 1839 Tithe Commutation map to left of north door.
Brass memorial inscriptions in marble slabs on chancel floor: William
Lumnor, 1481, (the builder of Mannington Hall qv 7/49) with indent for
heart and scrolls; Margaret, dau. of Thos Monseus, 1504, wife of Wm. Lumnor.
Listing NGR: TG1448830964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings