This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8843 / 52°53'3"N
Longitude: 1.0452 / 1°2'42"E
OS Eastings: 604987
OS Northings: 336210
OS Grid: TG049362
Mapcode National: GBR T9P.134
Mapcode Global: WHLR1.0RZQ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224128
Location: Thornage, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Thornage
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thornage All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
THORNAGE THE STREET,
TG 03 NW
1/121 Church of All Saints
Parish church, Cll and later. Restored 1898. Flint under plain tiles.
Tower, nave and chancel in one, north porch, south-west addition.
Unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages. Galletted knapped flint with stone
dressings. Embattled parapet with string course. 4 C19 crocketted
pinnacles. South-west stair turret with small blocked brick archway at base.
West window of 2 lights, panel tracery under hood mould; single cusp headed
slit above. Cusped bell openings. North-west nave quoin with some long
and short work in stone. North porch: roof restored 1900, wide 4-centred
treble chamfered arch. Ogee headed niche above. 2 narrow headed return
openings. North doorway of 2-centred arch with continuous double hollow
chamfered mouldings under deep roll hood mould. Stoup recess to left. Ledged
and battened door with wooden lock and latticed bracing to rear. North
facade: one nave window of 3 segmental headed lights under a square head;
2 Cll double splayed small round headed windows above porch and to north
chancel, the arches containing radiating thin bricks. Chancel with brick
eaves dentil cornice. East window of 3 irregular pointed lights. South
facade. Galletted coursed flint; Chancel set back c15m, 2 windows of 2
lights, one Decorated, one under segmental arch renewed; 2 nave windows
of 2 and 3 segmental headed lights without tracery, ovolo moulded mullions,
hollow chamfered surrounds. Gabled single storey south-west extension in
pebble flint with stone dressings under pantile roof. Cross on gable apex.
Wide 2 light window with square head. Memorial plaque to 1914-18 war dead.
Interior: nave: C19 boarded roof with ties and collars. 2 bay south arcade
now blocked; octagonal piers and caps, moulded equilateral arches. Tall
tower arch with pointed segmental head. Octagonal stone font with moulded
base on octagonal stem. Tortoise stone c1900 in north-west nave. Marble
slab under tower with indent for kneeling lady c1525 with civilian husband.
Incised slab on west wall under tower to Anne, wife of Sir Clement Heigham,
figure kneeling at prie-dieu, 2 shields of arms, inscription below framed
with strapwork, 1590. Chancel: C19 boarded roof supported by braced posts;
4-centred arched doorway to screen stair, north, 3 steps remaining; black
letter text on east wall; Mahogany cased organ dated 1812; 14 C15 poppy
heads now incorporated into chancel bench and stall ends; piscina of 2 arches
across arris of south window rear arch having central round pier with deep
roll mouldings to capital and base, hollow chamfers to 2 pointed arches,
bar stopped jambs, C13. Large monument on chancel south wall with chest
tomb dated 1593; 4-centred arch to recess with reeded pilasters to jambs
capped by urns; carved spandrels with crests of horse's head to left and
wyvern to right; blank inscription cartouche over arch centre with
surrounding motto "Soyez sage et simple"; Heraldic shields in 3 panels of
chest, below slab, separated by Ionic pilasters.
Listing NGR: TG0498736210
Other nearby listed buildings