History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Barningham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8548 / 52°51'17"N

Longitude: 1.1796 / 1°10'46"E

OS Eastings: 614174

OS Northings: 333322

OS Grid: TG141333

Mapcode National: GBR VCK.516

Mapcode Global: WHLR9.3H0T

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224076

Location: Little Barningham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Little Barningham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Little Barningham

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Little Barningham

Listing Text

LITTLE BARNINGHAM
TG 13 SW
7/56 Church of St. Andrew
4.10.60
II*

Parish church. Medieval. Heavily restored: chancel 1878/79, nave and porch
1895/96. Rendered flint and iron conglomerate, plain tile roof with fish
scale bands. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch, C19 north vestry.
Tower in 3 stages: galletted knapped flint with stone dressings: embattled
parapet with gargoyle; string course above and below bell stage; 3-stepped
diagonal buttresses with wide C15 stone plinth; bell openings and west
window, renewed 1895, of 2-cusped lights under an octofoil; part of low
segmental or 4-centred arch in brick to north. South porch restored 1896;
chamfered arch with roll mouldings under a hood mould, shafts lost; a
cinquefoil headed light, probably C15, each side; south doorway renewed,
chamfered jambs, double hollow chamfered arch under hood mould with figure
stops, that to right hand side renewed. North doorway boarded over. Nave
windows enlarged and renewed: south side one 3-light and one 2-light, north
side one 2-light, all with panel tracery under square heads. 2 stepped side
buttresses with flushwork. Chancel: knapped flint on older base; small
central door; 2 C19 2-light windows; diagonal buttresses of pebble flint,
C19; east gable of knapped flint; east window of 3 ogee headed lights with
panel tracery. Interior: nave roof of 1895, scissor braced, very large
castellated tie beams and wall plates; chancel roof of 1879 has arch braced
collars; chancel arch continuous double chamfer. Slender polygonal shafts
and moulded jambs to double chamfered tower arch. Plain stoup recess by
south door; plain octagonal font on fat octagonal stem, C15. Medieval glass
fragments in west window. Narrow ledged and battened door to tower stair.
Poppy head bench ends, one incorporating a lady's head, c1470, cut down and
affixed to C19 pews. One box pew, dated 1640, enlarged 1867, has cockshead
hinges, premonitary inscription and finial to corner post in the form of a
carved upright shrouded skeleton holding an hour glass and scythe.


Listing NGR: TG1417433322

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.