History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding at Low Melwood Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.508 / 53°30'28"N

Longitude: -0.7861 / 0°47'9"W

OS Eastings: 480603

OS Northings: 401947

OS Grid: SE806019

Mapcode National: GBR QWYW.L5

Mapcode Global: WHFFK.W2VZ

Entry Name: Outbuilding at Low Melwood Farm

Listing Date: 10 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373834

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165200

Location: Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Owston Ferry

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Owston Ferry St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Epworth

Listing Text

SE 80 SW OWSTON FERRY EPWORTH ROAD
SE 8060 0194 (east side, off)

12/136 Outbuilding at Low
Melwood Farm

GV II

Former farmhouse, incorporating remains of Carthusian Priory and later
houses; now farm outbuilding. C15-C16 origins, remodelled as house in later
C16, partly rebuilt in 1680s, rebuilt in mid C19; partly demolished, lowered
to single storey and converted to storehouse in 1960s. Brick, largely
rendered and pebbledashed, with limestone ashlar dressings. Corrugated iron
roof. L-shaped on plan: 2-room west wing (former house front) and 3-room
south wing. Single storey with basement. Quoins. South side, in 2 builds,
has slightly advanced section to right with chamfered plinth incorporating
blocked ashlar square-headed basement opening and blocked C16 basket-arched
chamfered door containing good ashlar relief tablet bearing Mowbray arms and
mantled helm, reset in 1960s from above former west front door. Two C20
enlarged ground-floor openings to right with double board doors; blocked
opening to left section with reused medieval ashlar mullion for sill. West
side, obscured by C20 addition of no special interest, has remains of
plinth, large inserted C20 openings. Interior. Ground-floor level
approximately 1 metre above ground level, ground floor removed to west wing,
cellar infilled to central south room, tiled floor to east room. South-west
room contains blocked opening beneath chamfered segmental-pointed ashlar
arch. Rooms contain traces of former late C18 - early C19 interior (arched
alcove, fragments of plaster cornice). The height of the ground floor, and
earlier descripions of the house, including reference to a stone pillar in
the cellar, suggest that the building may incorporate a former medieval
undercroft. Stands within a large moated enclosure. Excavations within the
enclosure in 1968 revealed late medieval brick wall foundations. Low
Melwood or Axholme Priory was founded in 1397-8 and dissolved in 1538.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No 119. W Read, History of the Isle of
Axholme, 1853, pp 317-8; Provisional List, 1960; N Pevsner and J Harris, The
Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 334. N Loughlin and K Miller, A
Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, 1979, pp 156-8.


Listing NGR: SE8060301947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.