History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dethick, Lea and Holloway, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1179 / 53°7'4"N

Longitude: -1.5126 / 1°30'45"W

OS Eastings: 432714

OS Northings: 357971

OS Grid: SK327579

Mapcode National: GBR 6BH.GDV

Mapcode Global: WHCDP.QWWM

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373840

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78696

Location: Dethick, Lea and Holloway, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Dethick, Lea and Holloway

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Dethick St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Tansley

Listing Text

SK 35 NW PARISH OF DETHICK, LEA AND HOLLOWAY DETHICK LANE (off)
1/49
13-2-67 Church of St John the Baptist
GV II*


Anglican church. Tower dated 1530, the remainder of the church C13 with later
additions and refashioning. Ashlar and coursed rubble gritstone with shallow
pitched leaded roof. West tower, nave and chancel with clerestory, a single
roof covering the body of the church, without visible differentiation between
nave and chancel. West tower, of three stages, rising from a two stage moulded
plinth, diagonal stepped buttresses with set-offs, rising to a moulded string-
course below an ashlar crenallated parapet with moulded merlons. Tall polygonal
stair turret with crenellated parapet rises above main tower at the south-east
corner. Tower west face with doorway with four-centred arch beneath a moulded
flat head, and with a stepped hoodmould rising above incribed plaque bearing date
of 1530. Above first floor string-course, two tiers of late Perp. 3-light windows
beneath pointed arched heads, hoodmoulds and stops; the upper opening blind. Deep
decorated frieze band below bell stage carries carved heraldic shields of the
Babingtons and related families, the tower having been erected by Sir Anthony
Babington. Frieze band delineated by projecting continuous mouldings. Above,
2-light belfry windows with single chamfer to surrounds. Above, a moulded string-
course, and ashlar crenellated parapet. South side wall with simple pointed arched
doorway below hoodmould to west end, single light pointed arched window with
hoodmould and stops, and, at the chancel end, a 3-light cusped hooded window within
a chamfered square headed surround. Clerestory above in ashlar masonry, separated
from lower rubble by a chamfered string-course. Four 2-light clerestory window with
cinquefoil heads to lights within chamfered square headed surrounds. Shallow
parapet to nave and chancel above chamfered string-course. 3-light 'Y' tracery
east window beneath hoodmould with stops, within simply chamfered surround. North
wall with three 2-light clerestory windows, and a single ground floor pointed arched
light beneath a hoodmould. Shallow lean-to roof towards west end. Plain interior,
with narrow pointed arch to tower.


Listing NGR: SK3271457970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.