History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ickham and Well, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2801 / 51°16'48"N

Longitude: 1.1815 / 1°10'53"E

OS Eastings: 621976

OS Northings: 158250

OS Grid: TR219582

Mapcode National: GBR VZJ.RHX

Mapcode Global: VHLGP.F2HZ

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 29 September 1952

Last Amended: 14 March 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 171253

Location: Ickham and Well, Canterbury, Kent, CT3

County: Kent

District: Canterbury

Civil Parish: Ickham and Well

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Littlebourne

Listing Text

1.
5273 ICKHAM AND WELL THE STREET
(north-east side)

The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as
the Rectory)
TR 25 NW 10/428 29.9.52

II*


2.
Probably this is the remaining part of the manor house belonging to the Prior
of Christ Church Monastery. The south-eastern part is a C13 house with a hall
on the first floor and cellar below built circa 1280. Two storeys, faced with
flints with long and short ashlar quoins. Hipped tiled roof. The ground floor
has one window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with stone mullions . Above is
a double stone window with 2 trefoil-headed lights. The centre portion is
C19 with an older core of 2 storeys red brick with tiled roof. The north-east
projection is C18. Two storeys red brick. Two crow-stepped gables. Two
sash windows with glazing bars intact stringcourse and cornice. To the west
of the south-east part is a further portion dating from the C17-Cl8 of which
the ground floor is faced with red brick and the first floor is tile hung.
Simple doorcases. The interior contains a late Cl5 wooden ceiling and remains
of a C16 fireplace. The floor joist to the hall may be original. The Rev
Maric Casaubon, classical scholar and sons of the more famous Isaac Casauton
who was Rector of Ickham from 1662 to 1671 lived here during those years and
died in the house in 1671.


Listing NGR: TR2198358251

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.