History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenhouses About 30 Metres North of Wierton Place and Attached Garden Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Boughton Monchelsea, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2209 / 51°13'15"N

Longitude: 0.5489 / 0°32'55"E

OS Eastings: 578092

OS Northings: 149948

OS Grid: TQ780499

Mapcode National: GBR PRV.FLN

Mapcode Global: VHJMM.GKJW

Entry Name: Greenhouses About 30 Metres North of Wierton Place and Attached Garden Wall

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373870

English Heritage Legacy ID: 174533

Location: Boughton Monchelsea, Maidstone, Kent, ME17

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Boughton Monchelsea

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Boughton Monchelsea

Listing Text

BOUGHTON MONCHELSEA

1415/2/68 WIERTON ROAD
25-MAR-87 (West side)
GREENHOUSES ABOUT 30 METRES NORTH OF
WIERTON PLACE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

GV II

Greenhouses and attached kitchen garden wall. Circa 1857 and 1899. Central glass-house, of 2-storey height, almost square, and with canted corners to front, linked by low linear ranges of approximately 20 glazing bays each, to smaller end pavillions. Red brick plinth. Brick rear walls to linking sections are part of the garden walls. Central pavillion has pyramidal roof, with narrow glazed upstand running from front to rear along ridge, with small bargeboards and iron finial to front. End pavillions gabled, with plain bargeboards and iron finials. Front of central pavillion, excluding corners, divided into 7 vertical glazing bays, each subdivided into rectangular panes, with frieze of lunettes under eaves. Glazed central double doors. 4 glazing bays to gable of each end pavillion, with larger panes towards base, small panes above, and lunette to each gable. Interior retains fittings for regulation of ventilation, and stands for plants. 4 Corinthian columns with cast iron spandrels and decorative bases, painted in blue and cream, to central pavillion. Attached brick garden walls form a rectangle mainly of Flemish bond brickwork, but Sussex bond to south, with moulded stone coping and brick buttresses at regular intervals. This varies in height between about 10 feet to the sides and 8 feet to the front. At the south east corner it abuts the carriage arch to the main house.

Listing NGR: TQ7809249947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.