This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9265 / 52°55'35"N
Longitude: 1.3078 / 1°18'27"E
OS Eastings: 622432
OS Northings: 341689
OS Grid: TG224416
Mapcode National: GBR WD3.FH0
Mapcode Global: WHMS3.2P0V
Entry Name: Sutherland House
Listing Date: 1 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 222560
Location: Cromer, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Cromer
Built-Up Area: Cromer
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Cromer St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
CROMER OVERSTRAND ROAD
TG 24 SW
2/78 Sutherland House
House. Circa 1886 by E J May for one of the Barclay family. Red brick in Flemish
bond with moulded brick dressings and applied timber framing and tile-hanging in
gables. Axial stacks with tall brick shafts with moulded caps, some with buttressed
bases. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs with-moulded bargeboards and pendants to
jettied tile-hung and timber frame gables.
Plan: Principal rooms at south (right hand) end around entrance and stair hall,
axial passage through service range to left (north) and adjoining lodge on north
Old English Style.
2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:2:1:1 bay west front with gables projecting
left and to right of centre, the left with 3-storey canted bay with buttresses to
brick first and second floors and with wooden top storey. Bays 2 and 3 flanked by
diagonal buttresses, bay 2 with oriel. Gabled bay 4 has 5-light attic window with
4-central arches and polygonal stair turret with battlements to right and gabled
tile-hung, timber and brick porch in angle with panelled inner door with radiating
balusters to semi-circular top panel. Polygonal sigle storey bay on right hand
corner and later rebuilt conservatory on rear (sout-east) corner. Rear east
garden front has group of 4 superimposed tile-hung and timber-frame gables to
right, the centre 2 integral, the outer gables projecting and with 2 and 3-storey
canted wooden bays with decorative timber framing. The windows are intact and have
moulded mullions and cornices to the transoms, top lights with glazing bars.
Single storey and attic lodge attached at north end has timber-frame gables.
Interior is largely complete and retains most of its original features including
panelled doors and other joinery. Hall has woven reed dado and tall narrow
chimneypiece with Delft tiles, mirror and coving. Reed coving continues up
staircase which has arcaded 'clerestorey' and panelled balustrade; attic flight
has stick balusters. Drawing room has moulded ceiling beam and joists and
chimneypiece with Tudor arch fireplace and mirrors and shelves on overmantal with
coving above. South end room has another large chimneypiece with mirrors and
polygonal bay with central column. Complete set of original chimneypieces in
chambers above, simple servants' stairs and pantry cupboards etc.
Note: originally known as Herne Close (Kelly's Directory)
Sources: Illustration, The Architect, vol. 36, 12 Nov. 1886 p278.
Listing NGR: TG2242841692
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings