History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Berry Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walsingham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9013 / 52°54'4"N

Longitude: 0.8844 / 0°53'4"E

OS Eastings: 594097

OS Northings: 337659

OS Grid: TF940376

Mapcode National: GBR S7Y.2FQ

Mapcode Global: WHLQY.KBCM

Entry Name: Berry Hall

Listing Date: 30 November 1951

Last Amended: 15 February 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223084

Location: Walsingham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR22

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Walsingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Walsingham Little St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Wighton

Listing Text

1.
5320 GREAT WALSINGHAM WESTGATE
(South Side)

Berry Hall
(formerly listed as
No 6 Berry Hall)
TF 9437 NW 6/6A 30.11.51.

II*

2.
Built in 1532 by Thomas Bury. Flint with brick dressings. Pantile roofs, some
black-glazed with parapeted gable ends, some stepped - C16 or C17 south range;
2 storeys and attic. Three windows, ground floor various casements, including
4-light ovolo-moulded mullion window with leaded panes. First floor 2-light
sash with glazing bars, Venetian stair window with sash with glazing bars, and
C19/20 large 5-light window. No pedimented dormers with 5-light mullion windows.
At each end a chimney stack with twin octagonal shafts. Interior: early C18
staircase with moulded balusters, and room with early C17 panelling and chimneypiece.
C16 wing adjoining north with 2-storeyed porch with stepped gables and double-
chamfered brick 4-centred arch doorway. Interior has heavily moulded ceiling
beams. Said to have been extended in C17 with stepped gable at north end, also
2 storeys and attic.
East side has C18 additions, 2 gables, one rebuilt stepped gable; all sashes
with glazing bars, front floor 2-light sashes; and small C17 2-light wood mullion
window with dripmould.


Listing NGR: TF9409737659

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.