This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7547 / 52°45'16"N
Longitude: -2.0943 / 2°5'39"W
OS Eastings: 393732
OS Northings: 317455
OS Grid: SJ937174
Mapcode National: GBR 28V.CBD
Mapcode Global: WHBF6.S1X0
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Last Amended: 2 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271650
Location: Acton Trussell and Bednall, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST17
District: South Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Acton Trussell and Bednall
Built-Up Area: Acton Trussell
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Acton Trussell St James
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 91 NW ACTON TRUSSELL, BEDNALL ACTON TRUSSELL
AND TEDDESLEY HAY C.P.
3/2 Church of St. James
Parish Church. c1300 with later additions, restored 1869-70 by G.E. Street.
Ashlar; plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles and coped verges. West
tower with diagonal buttresses, 5-bay nave and chancel in one, south porch,
north-east vestry. West tower: stages externally with parapet string,
crenellated parapet and recessed spire of 1562; first stage has a 2-
light chamfer mullioned west window dated 1565, pointed window above with
Y-tracery and hood mould, belfry openings with Y-tracery, the 2 main nave
windows have 2 lights and are separated by a buttress, the chancel window
has 3 lights, pointed chamfered doorway to right of centre with small
ogee headed window to left of it. Heavily restored north side, pointed
nave windows with Y-tracery, pointed east window of 3 lights with
reticulated tracery; gabled south porch with segmental pointed arch.
Vestry: Mid-C19, north side has a Tudor-arch doorway and paired trefoil-
headed windows to right, the east end has a re-set C14 window of 2-lights
with reticulated tracery. Interior: Tall pointed and double chamfered
tower arch; no division between nave and chancel; C19 king-post roof
with braced collars, chamfered and stopped tie beams; piscina with ogee
head and restored bowl; aumbry with restored base. Fittings: C19
font, circular with moulded base and arcaded bowl; C19 pulpit, wooden,
semi-octagonal with arcaded sides; Medieval stone font in tower.
Monuments: Richard Nevil d.1728, marble wall-plaque, aedicule with fluted
Ionic pilasters, semi-circular pediment and coat of arms; Ann Richards d.
1821, wall plaque.
Listing NGR: SJ9373217455
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings