History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Meaford Hall the Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone Rural, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9179 / 52°55'4"N

Longitude: -2.1667 / 2°10'0"W

OS Eastings: 388889

OS Northings: 335618

OS Grid: SJ888356

Mapcode National: GBR 15H.50C

Mapcode Global: WHBD6.PXGG

Entry Name: Meaford Hall the Manor House

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272338

Location: Stone Rural, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone Rural

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text

STONE RURAL MEAFORD ROAD
1.
5373
Meaford
Meaford Hall:
The Manor House
SJ 83 NE 5/8 24.1.67.

II*
2.
Circa 1830. Altered and restored 1874-7,by Burn and McVicar Anderson. Jacobean
style. Stone; 3 storeys; slightly projecting bay on right-hand side with stepped
gable; stepped gable on left-hand side; 5 (renewed) sash windows overall in keyed
surrounds, those to ground storey surmounted by elaborate strapwork entablatures;
central doorcase having panelled pilasters with foliated capitals supporting frieze
with 3 escutcheons and cornice surmounted by urns; moulded cornice at first floor
and at eaves; parapet; coped gable ends; tiles. Good elevation to garden has
3-light canted bay to left and a 3-light convex bay on right-hand side, both tiered
over 2 storeys with recessed stepped gables behind the bays; central dormer with
semi-circular pediment enclosing shell ornament; pierced parapet. The north side
largely reconstructed following demolition (circa 1966) of large wing known as
the East India Wing.
Interior much altered but entrance hall retains staircase with balustrade of elaborate
foliated ironwork and a horizontal-sliding divided iron grille to entrance doorway
with wrought panels of foliated design.


Listing NGR: SJ8888935618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.