History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Alrewas, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7337 / 52°44'1"N

Longitude: -1.7467 / 1°44'48"W

OS Eastings: 417197

OS Northings: 315149

OS Grid: SK171151

Mapcode National: GBR 4D5.P5L

Mapcode Global: WHCGJ.4KH3

Entry Name: Park House

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272550

Location: Alrewas, Lichfield, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Alrewas

Built-Up Area: Alrewas

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Alrewas All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Alrewas

Listing Text

SK 1615-1715 ALREWAS C.P. WILLIAM IV ROAD (East side)

9/63 Park House

GV II

House. Probably C15, extended possibly in the C17, further extended
and remodelled in the mid-C19; an C18 agricultural building was
incorporated into the house in the mid-C20. Timber framed, much rebuilt
in red brick; plain tile roof; brick ridge stack, lateral external stack
and external gable end stack. Originally a T-shaped open hall and
crosswing plan, the cross-wing of 2 bays, aligned east-west and the hall
range probably a single bay aligned north-south facing west, the hall
range was probably extended to the south in the C17 by a single bay and
in the C19 by a further bay, an C18 former agricultural building immediately
to the east of the crosswing and on the same alignment is now linked to the
house. West elevation: 2 storeys with dentilled eaves, crosswing to the
left with hipped roof, hall range to the right; 1:3 bays, 24-pane and
16-pane glazing bar sashes with horns and segmental heads; door to left
hand of hall range. Straight joint in brickwork to right of centre.
North elevation: crosswing to the right, former agricultural building
to the left, C20 glazing bar casements and a large lateral chimney stack
to the right. Left hand gable of crosswing has timber framing, collar
and tie beam roof truss with one pair of purlins and ridge piece and
closely spaced studs throughout. Exposed queen strut roof truss to left
hand gable of former agricultural building. Interior: a large amount of
exposed timber framing, closely spaced studs and square panels with
straight braces and curved wind braces. The north bay of the hall
range is contemporary with the crosswing, the surviving framing in each
is similar in character, the present timber framed ceiling of the north
bay shows signs of being a later insertion of circa 1700, and is probably
contemporary with the large open brick fireplace against the south wall;
the 2 roof trusses over the north bay have queen struts, that to the south
of the central bay has 3 vertical struts between tie beam and collar and
V-struts above the collar, it is probably later than the other two, the
central truss of the crosswing has raking queen struts.


Listing NGR: SK1719715149

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.