This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5993 / 52°35'57"N
Longitude: -1.7165 / 1°42'59"W
OS Eastings: 419296
OS Northings: 300209
OS Grid: SK192002
Mapcode National: GBR 4FY.4TB
Mapcode Global: WHCH3.LXTN
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 27 February 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272771
Location: Drayton Bassett, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B78
Civil Parish: Drayton Bassett
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Drayton Bassett St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 1800-1900 DRAYTON BASSETT C.P. DRAYTON BASSETT
14/19 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Probably C15 with rebuilding of 1793 and circa 1855.
Ashlar; slate roof with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, single-
bay chancel all with diagonal buttresses, north-east vestry. West
tower: C15. 3 stages marked by off-sets, crenellated parapet; massive
buttress at north-west corner. Large pointed south doorway with wide
chamfered jambs; the arch has 2 orders of half-roll and fillet and
one order comprising 2 sunken chamfers separated by a fillet; small
rectangular window above with hood mould; pointed belfry windows of
2 trefoil headed lights with quatrefoil above bounded by short supermullions.
Nave: 1793. Pointed windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and a single
reticulation, hood moulds with foliated stops. Chancel: circa 1855.
Pointed south door of 2 moulded orders; pointed east window of 3 lights
with reticulated tracery and hood mould with foliated stops. Vestry:
east door with Caernarvon arch head; north window of two trefoil headed
lights. Interior: pointed and widely splayed door to tower; high pointed
chancel arch; pointed door each side of the chancel. Nave roof has
braced tie beams, the braces springing from stone corbels, arch braced
collars, 2 pairs of purlins and a ridge piece, the chancel has an arch
braced collar roof. West gallery housing the organ, served by a wooden
staircase with splat balusters. Fittings: full set of C19 box pews;
good oak pulpit of 1875, octagonal, Gothic style panels, brass balustrade;
reading desk of 1875 with open panels. Wooden altar rail, pair of
Gothic style arm chairs and altar table, all circa 1855; octagonal
stone font, 5 columns with stiff-leaf capitals form the pedestal.
Monuments: Sir Robert Peel (the statesman), died 1850, by White of
Vauxhall Bridge Road, Gothic style, elaborate traceried canopy over
a large inscription panel with black lettering, set within a panelled
wooden enclosure. Aedicule to Sir Robert Peel, died 1830. Tablets
to Samuel Cooper Esquire, died 1816; Dickenson family, circa 1846;
John Webster, died 1849; Webster family, circa 1830; Alice Mayou, died
1837. Stained glass: all the windows of the nave and the east windows
were inserted in 1875, nothing special.
Listing NGR: SK1929600209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings