This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7459 / 52°44'45"N
Longitude: -1.8871 / 1°53'13"W
OS Eastings: 407720
OS Northings: 316484
OS Grid: SK077164
Mapcode National: GBR 3BG.XBN
Mapcode Global: WHBF9.Z7KR
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 27 February 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374295
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272850
Location: Armitage with Handsacre, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15
Civil Parish: Armitage with Handsacre
Built-Up Area: Armitage
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Armitage St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ARMITAGE WITH HANDSACRE C.P. CHURCH LANE
SK 01 NE
6/4 Church of St. John
Parish church. West tower of 1632; the rest of 1844-7 by Henry Ward of
Stafford, the rebuilding of a C12 and C13 structure. Ashlar with herring-
bone tooling; plain tile roofs with crested ridge tiles and stone coped
verges. West tower, 4-bay nave with side aisles and south porch, 3-bay
chancel and north vestry / organ chamber. West tower. 3 stages with
diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet. Round-headed windows: 3
lights to first stage west, single lights to second stage, 2 lights to
belfry. Nave and aisles. Norman style. Shafted buttresses at the
bay divisions, and a Lombard frieze to both aisles. Round arch windows
with colonettes and scalloped capitals. Circular window in west gable
of south aisle. Gabled south porch has round outer arch with zig-zag
ornament, springing from colonettes with scalloped capitals. Inside is
a round arch door of 2 chevron moulded corners springing from chevron
and cable moulded colonettes with scalloped capitals. Carvings around
the opening including beak head. Gothic style chancel, and north vestry
/ organ chamber. South windows of former and north windows of latter
are identical, being pointed with 2 trefoil-headed lights, and a quatrefoil
in the head; hood moulds terminating in heads. Both east windows are
pointed and of 3 trefoil-headed lights. The tracery of the vestry window
is Geometric in character, whereas that of the chancel window is Perpendicular.
Pointed priest's door on north side of vestry. Interior. 4-bay nave
arcades with cylindrical columns, scalloped capitals, square abaci and
chevron moulded round arches. Hood moulds terminating in grotesque heads.
Tall narrow tower arch of 2 chevron moulded orders springing from cylindrical
shafts with scalloped capitals chancel arch with roll-moulded inner order
and chevron moulded outer order. Hammer beam roofs over nave and aisles.
Wagon roof over chancel with arch-braced collars at the bay divisions springing
from corbels carved as angels. 3-bay arcade of pointed arches on north
side of chancel; 3 roll and fillet-moulded orders springing from grouped
shafts. Fittings. Late C11/C12 stone font with frieze depicting a 7-
bay arcade of round arches springing from cable-moulded columns with scalloped
capitals. A pair of figures stands beneath each arch. C19 stone pulpit:
ogee-headed panels with crocketed hoods; carved angels around the base.
Early C14 style traceried choir stalls. Stained glass. East window
of after 1868 depicting scenes from the passion. On the south side of
the chancel are windows of 1872 and of after 1907. East window of south
aisle after 1860. In the south aisle are drawings of the medieval church
before it was demolished in 1844. B.o.E. pp. 61-2.
Listing NGR: SK0772016484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings