History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thorpe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpe Constantine, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.676 / 52°40'33"N

Longitude: -1.6193 / 1°37'9"W

OS Eastings: 425835

OS Northings: 308769

OS Grid: SK258087

Mapcode National: GBR 5GF.CD6

Mapcode Global: WHCGS.3Z5W

Entry Name: Thorpe Hall

Listing Date: 9 March 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272825

Location: Thorpe Constantine, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B79

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Thorpe Constantine

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Clifton Campville St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Newton Regis

Listing Text

SK 2508 THORPE CONSTANTINE C.P. THORPE CONSTANTINE

12/72 Thorpe Hall
9.3.53
GV II


Small country house. Core of 1651, remodelled in the early C19; wings
of 1800 (north) and 1812 (south) by Thomas Gardner of Derby; a billiard
room extension was built in 1870. Rendered, on a sandstone plinth;
hipped slate roofs; rendered stacks to rear of ridge lines. Main house
aligned north-west/south-east with wings to each end projecting north-
east; billiard room extension to the south-east. North-east front:
recessed central block flanked by projecting wings. Central block:
3 storeys on basement, reduced proportions to second floor, eaves cornice
and plain parapet; 5 bays, each bay defined by pilaster strips; glazing
bar sashes with sill bands. Central half-glazed 2-leaf door with eared
and pedimented architrave, and fanlight with radiating glazing bars;
flanking flights of stone steps sweep up to the door and are carried
on a stone arch with rusticated voussoirs, they have a wrought iron
balustrade and square piers. Wings: 2 storeys with floor band; 3 bays,
glazing bar sashes. Single-storey, 2-bay extension to the left with
4-pane sashes. South-west (garden) front: 3 storey central block with
eaves cornice and balustraded parapet, attached by set-back links to
2 storey flanking wings with bowed fronts, storey band and eaves cornice;
3:1:5:1:3 bays, glazing bar sashes with sill bands. Central single-
storey Tuscan porch with half-glazed 2-leaf door, fanlight with raised
keystone, and moulded cornice. C19 extension set-back to right: one
storey, 3 bays, glazed semi-circular arches, door to the left flanked
by pilasters. Interior: open-well staircase with decorative wrought
iron balustrade. B.O.E. p.281; Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire
(1904) p.391.


Listing NGR: SK2583508769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.