This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8102 / 52°48'36"N
Longitude: -1.6275 / 1°37'39"W
OS Eastings: 425203
OS Northings: 323694
OS Grid: SK252236
Mapcode National: GBR 5DP.WW9
Mapcode Global: WHCG5.ZM4H
Entry Name: Malthouses Number 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 at Former Bass Maltings
Listing Date: 22 June 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273055
Location: Burton, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE14
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Burton
Built-Up Area: Burton upon Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Burton-on-Trent St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/02/2016
SK 22 SE 7/142
Malthouses Nos 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 at former Bass Maltings
(Formerly listed as Malthouses Nos 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 at former Brass Maltings)
A large group of parallel ranges of 3 and 4 storey maltings. Built of red
brick with blue brick plinth and stone impost string linking the giant blind
arcading that articulates the window bays. Coped gable ends facing the road.
Slate roofs in part replaced by tiles. Nos 18 to 21 set back from road, were
erected by Bass & Co in 1853-54 and were the first multi-storey floor maltings
in the town. Their design and 200 quarter steeping capacity established the
standard size and style of Burton maltings. The centre pivoted windows were
also introduced here for the first time, to control the ventilation of the
germinating floor. The gabled kilns are set at right angles to the germinating
floors at the east end adjoining the barley garners. Malthouses Nos 16 and
17 were added in 1864 and have the same design features as the earlier houses.
They were built however on an innovatiory plan as a double malting ranged
end to end. The top floor served as a barley store. The double gable end
to road repeats the blind arcading motifs of the side elevations. At each
end of the south front are gabled hoists supported on cast iron decorated brackets.
Below at 2nd floor level are cast iron handling platforms, also supported by
brackets, with iron trellis guard rails to sides.
Listing NGR: SK2520323694
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings