History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Kidsgrove, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0756 / 53°4'31"N

Longitude: -2.2617 / 2°15'41"W

OS Eastings: 382566

OS Northings: 353178

OS Grid: SJ825531

Mapcode National: GBR 023.5AC

Mapcode Global: WHBCD.7Y8L

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 17 July 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273339

Location: Kidsgrove, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST7

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Kidsgrove

Built-Up Area: Kidsgrove

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Talke St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Alsager

Listing Text

KIDSGROVE C.P. CROWN BANK, Talke (west
SJ 85 SW side)

5/55 Church of St. Martin
17.7.51

GV II

Parish church. 1794 with mid-C19 alterations and additions. Red brick
with blue headers (Flemish bond); plain tile roof with shaped tile bands
and coped verges. 4-bay nave with apsidal chancel and C19 north transept.
Nave. Round headed windows with raised keys and Y-traceried glazing
bars. C19 pointed west door with panelled spandrels, flanked by 2 lancet
stair windows with 4-centred heads and hood moulds. Central first floor
window with round head and hood mould and small gable window with round
head springing from an impost band. C19 square bellcote with pyramidal
lead covered roof. Chancel. Round-headed east window with raised keystone
and moulded arch springing from imposts; glazing bars in a Decorated
tracery pattern. Transept. Rough faced ashlar; plain tile roof with
shaped tile bands and stone coped verge. Pointed north window of 3
lights with cusped heads and Decorated tracery of early C14 character;
sill string stepped down to east and west. East door with moulded surround
and shouldered head. Interior. West gallery with panelled rail.
C18 King-post roof over the nave. Semi-circular chancel arch with pan-
elled casing, flanked by a pair of console brackets, each supporting
a wooden stake. Arched-braced collar roof over transept.


Listing NGR: SJ8256653178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.