History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Archway and Gates Stable Block and Attached Wall to North East of Shawdon Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hedgeley, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4229 / 55°25'22"N

Longitude: -1.8549 / 1°51'17"W

OS Eastings: 409279

OS Northings: 614341

OS Grid: NU092143

Mapcode National: GBR H5HQ.6V

Mapcode Global: WHC19.GYXM

Entry Name: Archway and Gates Stable Block and Attached Wall to North East of Shawdon Hall

Listing Date: 25 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374397

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236592

Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Hedgeley

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Glanton

Listing Text

HEDGELEY SHAWDON
NU 01 SE
8/247 Archway and gates,
stable block and
attached wall to
north-east of
Shawdon Hall
GV II

Archway and gates, probably 1858 by John Dobson; stable block and wall c.1780
possibly by William Newton, with C19 rear wing. Archway ashlar, gates timber
and cast-iron, stable block and wall squared stone with Welsh slate roof,
Stable block L-plan, linked by archway at south-west corner to rear wing of
Hall (q.v.).

Round archway with plinth, moulded keystone and impost band broken by pilasters
rising to a plain frieze and moulded cornice, carrying pedestal with seated
lion holding shield with motto. Panelled double gates with spiked top rail.

Stable block, to right 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, moulded eaves
cornice. Central boarded double doors, under radial fanlight in keyed round
arch flanked by small casements under larger elliptical arch. 4-pane sash
windows; 6-pane sashes on 1st floor. Hipped roof with C20 roof lights. Added
left rear wing with 4-pane sash windows.

Right return, facing downhill, has segmental arch to cellar with brick barrel
vault; and blind lst-floor window. Attached wall to left has broader segmental
arch to cellar with stone barrel vault running under lawn in front of stables;
wall with flat coping sloped down to left.


Listing NGR: NU0927914341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.