History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Eyre Chapel (Behind Newbold Road)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chesterfield, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2516 / 53°15'5"N

Longitude: -1.4488 / 1°26'55"W

OS Eastings: 436874

OS Northings: 372868

OS Grid: SK368728

Mapcode National: GBR LZBV.43

Mapcode Global: WHDF8.QJ9N

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Eyre Chapel (Behind Newbold Road)

Listing Date: 13 March 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83423

Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield

Town: Chesterfield

District Council Ward: Linacre

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Newbold St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Newbold

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:


SK 37 SE 13/36 NEWBOLD ROAD
(South Side)
Newbold
II* GV
Roman Catholic Eyre
Chapel (behind Newbold
Road)

The description shall be amended to read:

Medieval and later - small rectangular chapel. Coursed stone rubble with stone
slate roof. Plain pinnacles on all four corners. Crocheted pinnacle on west
gable. No openings on north side. Two doors on south side, one with Tudor arch
and the other (priest's door) with low relief Norman carving in tympanum and
jambs bearing traces of moulding. 2 2-light Perpendicular flat-headed windows
with cusped light to south; similar windows to east and west. Raised stone
altar at east end. Five timber tie-beams, three with 15th Century carved
bosses. Former chapel of the Eyre family. Granted by James II for Roman
Catholic worship and sacked by protestant mob in 1688. Large stone cross in
burial ground surrounding the chapel commemorates its restoration in 1887 and
the re-internment in the Crypt beneath the stone flagged floor of 12 members of
Eyre family. Stone horse mounting block built into north east corner of
building. Restored completely in 1989 for communal use.

NEWBOLD ROAD
1.
5169 (South Side)
Newbold
Roman Catholic Eyre Chapel
(behind Newbold Road)
SK 37 SE 13/36 13.3.68.

II* GV


2.
Mediaeval and later. Small rectangular chapel of coursed stone rubble with stone
slate roof. Pinnacles crocketed over west door. 2 perpendicular windows at south
side, flat arched and mullioned with cusped lights but now bricked up. 2 doors
one with low relief Norman carving in tympanum, the other with Tudor arch. Formerly
the chapel of the Eyre family. Granted by James II for Roman Catholic worship
and sacked by a Protestant mob in 1688.


Listing NGR: SK3687472868

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.