History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Assembly Rooms and Schoolroom Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in New Romney, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9855 / 50°59'7"N

Longitude: 0.9406 / 0°56'26"E

OS Eastings: 606488

OS Northings: 124791

OS Grid: TR064247

Mapcode National: GBR T07.4MF

Mapcode Global: FRA D6VH.XZ2

Entry Name: The Assembly Rooms and Schoolroom Adjoining

Listing Date: 28 August 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175017

Location: New Romney, Shepway, Kent, TN28

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: New Romney

Built-Up Area: New Romney

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
New Romney

Listing Text


1.
1449 CHURCH APPROACH
(North East Side)

The Assembly Rooms and
Schoolroom adjoining
TR 0624 1/48 28.8.51.

II GV


2.
Said to have been erected as the meeting place of the Courts of Brotherhood
and Guestling, consisting of the representatives of the Cinque Ports and the Ancient
Towns, without their dependent members in the case of the Court of Brotherhood and
with them in the case of the Court of Guestling. The building was then called the
hall of the Ports. It was also used as Assembly Rooms. The Schoolroom is a small
room adjoining on the North West, The Schoolroom was erected in 1676, the Assembly
Rooms probably soon afterwards. The Schoolroom is a small building with a plain front
and the date 1676 on it. The Assembly Rooms are of red brick, brown brick and grey
headers. The front has 4 pilasters supporting the cornice with a large pediment over
containing a circular panel. The 2 centre pilasters have 2 sets of capitals, the
lower one joined by a cornice over the doorway. Sash window on each side between the +
inner and outer pilasters with glazing bars intact. The interior has some fine Cl7
panelling. There is a niche at the far end, flanked by pilasters and a very, fine
wooden door surround with fluted Tuscan columns and a pediment with Greek Key design.
There is a 1 storey extension to the South East of the original Assembly Rooms added
in the C19. Brown brick. Tiled roof with wooden modillion cornice. 4 sash windows
with red brick architraves over and glazing bars intact. Brick plinth with traces
of rubble and flint galleting to left hand side.

Rating Office and Assembly Rooms form a group.


Listing NGR: TR0648624797

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.