History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ilam Church of England School

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilam, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0558 / 53°3'20"N

Longitude: -1.8012 / 1°48'4"W

OS Eastings: 413418

OS Northings: 350971

OS Grid: SK134509

Mapcode National: GBR 487.FFB

Mapcode Global: WHCDY.9GH5

Entry Name: Ilam Church of England School

Listing Date: 15 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274460

Location: Ilam, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, DE6

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Ilam

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Ilam

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ilam

Listing Text

SK 15 SW ILAM C.P. ILAM

8/102 Ilam C. of E. School
-

G.V. II


School. 1854. By George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared
rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; fishscale tile roof with
plain tile bands. Gothic style. 1 storey; 1 :1:1: bays; central
gabled porch with bracketed, shaped and painted barge boards and
wooden lattice work to gable; double window to left and right of
centre with early C14 style tracery; pair of segmental pointed doorways
to centre approached by flight of steps; square panel above containing
a blank shield surrounded by cusping; porch surmounted by a
belfry with wooden open-work superstructure, spire and weather vane;
gabled dormer casement to left of centre with shaped and painted barge
boards. Left hand gable end has a 4-light window with early C14 style
tracery; bracketed shaped and painted barge boards; bracketed trellis
work to upper part of gable. An essential element of the picturesque
estate village rebuilt by Scott in the 1850's.


Listing NGR: SK1341650979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.