History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Butterton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1064 / 53°6'22"N

Longitude: -1.888 / 1°53'16"W

OS Eastings: 407593

OS Northings: 356580

OS Grid: SK075565

Mapcode National: GBR 366.9GL

Mapcode Global: WHBCK.Z53X

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374586

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274413

Location: Butterton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Butterton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Butterton St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Butterton

Listing Text

SK 05 NE BUTTERTON C.P. BUTTERTON

4/59 Church of
St. Bartholomew
1.2.67.

G.V. II

Parish Church. 1871-3 by Ewan Christian, West spire 1879 by Sugden.
Squared and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; clay tile roofs with
coped verges. 2 bay Chancel; 3 bay nave with south porch; North aisle;
West tower with stone spire. Late C13 style. 2 gables to North aisle;
West-Tower of 3 stages with offset plinth, belfry band moulded parapet band,
crenellated parapet with crocheted corner pinnacles, gabled openings
to spire. Interior: N, arcade on cylindrical columns; pointed Chancel
arch springing from moulded corbels; pointed lower arch; Nave roof has
scissor braces, Chancel roof is boarded. Fittings: Octagonal sandstone
font of C1300; C17 oak chairs in West tower and Chancel. Wooden plaque
in nave with inscription: "Mrs. Ruth Stubs / late of Butterton did by /
her laft will give to the / Curate of this Church ye / fum of Ten Pounds
to / be paid Yearly for ever / And the Yearly sum of / Five Pounds
the Profits /of one half a Beaft-grafs / in the Clews to the poor / of
Butterton for ever / The Rev. J. Read Curate /John Cantull Church /
Warden 1775." B.O.E.Page 92.


Listing NGR: SK0759356580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.