History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stafford Arms Public House and St Chad's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bagnall, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0555 / 53°3'19"N

Longitude: -2.1088 / 2°6'31"W

OS Eastings: 392807

OS Northings: 350917

OS Grid: SJ928509

Mapcode National: GBR 255.FP4

Mapcode Global: WHBCN.LG1G

Entry Name: Stafford Arms Public House and St Chad's House

Listing Date: 15 December 1986

Last Amended: 4 December 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274495

Location: Bagnall, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST9

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Bagnall

Built-Up Area: Bagnall

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Bagnall St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Endon

Listing Text

BAGNALL

1798/4/8 THE GREEN
15-DEC-1986 BAGNALL
(West side)
Stafford Arms Public House and St Chad's
House

(Formerly listed as:
BAGNALL
STAFFORD ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE (3 UNITS))

GV II


Group of 3 cottages, now public house and house. C17, altered mid-C19. Coursed
and squared stone; machine tile roofs with verge parapets to each unit; ridge stack to left and end stacks to right. 2-storey frontage. Left-hand unit: of 3 windows; casements, widely-spaced to right, boarded door to left of centre with pent porch; blocked entrance to right, now a window. Centre: 2-window range; C19 three-light chamfered mullioned windows, 2 ground-floor windows are offset to right, C19 single-storey gabled porch offset to left, 3-sided front with single-light windows to diagonal sides and Tudor-arch central entrance and boarded door. The roof has an unusual mock-medieval smoke vent to the left. Right (St Chad's House): slightly taller than the remainder, a 4- and 3-light chamfered mullioned
window to the first floor, the larger left-hand window has a gabled coat-of-arms below the cill, large 3-sided single-storey bay window to the right side of the ground floor, chamfered mullion and transom windows and solid stone-block, ogee-shaped pitched roof; hipped porch on stone brackets (reminiscent of the work of G.E. Street), boarded door. 3-storey side elevation facing the church (q.v.), has C18 plank door in shouldered architrave and adjoining 2-light stone-mullioned window; 2-light round-arched window above with chamfered mullions and transoms. The group forms the focus of the village green.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.