This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.081 / 53°4'51"N
Longitude: -2.0793 / 2°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 394787
OS Northings: 353755
OS Grid: SJ947537
Mapcode National: GBR 24T.WP0
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.1T4D
Entry Name: Canal Lock Side Pond at Sj 947 537
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274616
Location: Endon and Stanley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST9
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Endon and Stanley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Endon St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ENDON & STANLEY C.P. CALDON CANAL
SJ 95 SW
SJ 947 537
- Canal lock side
pond at SJ 947 537
Canal lock side pond. Circa 1842. Stone and semi-engineering brick.
Square basin (approximately 4m sides) with radiused angles, set into
ground, brick retaining walls and stone copings. North side (towards
Leek Branch of canal) has wrought iron railed balustrade; 2 horizontal
bars swan-necked down to copings on east and west sides and finished by
scrolls. The basin sits in the centre of a small group of lock keeper's
cottage (q.v.), lock (q.v.), footbridge (q.v.) and accommodation bridges
(q.v.), where the Leek Branch meets the main canal. John Rennie was the
engineer for the Leek Branch, built to take cheaper coal to Leek.
Listing NGR: SJ9478753755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings