History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heath House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Checkley, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9507 / 52°57'2"N

Longitude: -1.9621 / 1°57'43"W

OS Eastings: 402646

OS Northings: 339255

OS Grid: SK026392

Mapcode National: GBR 381.2R2

Mapcode Global: WHBD9.T3W8

Entry Name: Heath House

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374695

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274934

Location: Checkley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Checkley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Checkley St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cheadle

Listing Text

CHECKLEY

1663/9/130 HOLLINGTON ROAD
03-JAN-67 (South side)
Heath House

GV II*

Country house. Circa 1836 by Thomas Johnson of Lichfield for John Burton
Phillips (owner of Tean Hall Mills [qv]). Chisel dressed ashlar; slate
roofs of steep pitch; verge parapets with steeply pitched copings. Multi,
circular shafted ridge and end stacks. Tudor Gothic style, the house a
large H-plan with attached service wing of L-shape (and similar size).
Entrance front: on side of H and of two tall storeys (taking the height
of three storeys to the remainder of the house) banded at first floor and
cill level and on moulded plinth. Assymetrical, of five windows mainly
labelled 1-, 2-, 2-light casements with chamfered stone mullions and transoms.
The centre is dominated by a tall tower rising a further storey to an
octagonal pinnacled parapet and with an octagonal stair tower behind of
yet another storey; the first floor has a semicircular oriel over a Tudor
arched porte cochere with turret pinnacled angles, balustrade and crestings to
centres with mock loop holes. Drive (and prospect) front: vast, of three
storeys and 3: 3: 3 windows of 1 and lights with projecting gables to
sides; the right hand has a 3-sided bay window, the two-storey service wing
attached to left of similar style. The interior consistently of Tudor Gothic
style is entered via a low vaulted entrance hall which opens into the stair
hall, by far the largest room in the house and rising to a lantern in the
roof. The stair divides into two flights against the rear wall and rises
to an arcaded gallery at first floor level. Almost all the fittings,
including the wallpaper are original. The partnership of Johnson and Trubshaw
also produced a classical design based on the refacing of the original
house. This more chaste design, almost certainly by Trubshaw, was rejected
on grounds of the ascendant Tudor Gothic fashion taste.

Listing NGR: SK0264639255

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.