History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Biddulph, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1086 / 53°6'30"N

Longitude: -2.1795 / 2°10'46"W

OS Eastings: 388081

OS Northings: 356833

OS Grid: SJ880568

Mapcode National: GBR 135.1SS

Mapcode Global: WHBCF.H4C7

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 20 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374751

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275255

Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Biddulph

Built-Up Area: Biddulph

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Knypersley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

BIDDULPH C.P. TUNSTALL ROAD,
SJ 85 NE Knypersley

7/47 Church of St John
- the Evangelist

GV II

Chapel of Ease. 1848-51, by R.C. Hussey. Sandstone ashlar; blue machine
tile roofs; verge parapets. Compact plan of nave, chancel, south transept
and north-west spire in early decorated style. Tower: of 3 stages;
angle buttresses, trefoil-headed twin-light windows to bell chamber,
further single light to first stage. East side: pointed north doorway;
broached spire, gargoyles at angles and exaggerated central lucarnes to
base of each side, with roofs resting on free-standing columns; cruciform
pinnacle. Nave: of 4 fenestrated bays divided by 2-stage buttresses and
lit by 2-light trefoil-headed and quatrefoil labelled windows to sides
and 5-light geometrical west window based on 'Y'-tracery pattern with
cinquefoils and trefoils in pointed arch; transept of one bay and lower,
attached to south side; rose window in apex, small lights to sides.
Chancel: of 2 bays, lower but similar to nave; 4-light 'Y'-tracery
east window with cinquefoils to pointed, labelled head. Built for the
Batemans of Biddulph Grange (q.v.) and part of a complete early Victorian
group including also school and parsonage (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8808156833

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.