History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block Approximately 20 Metres North East of Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Heaton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1788 / 53°10'43"N

Longitude: -2.0416 / 2°2'29"W

OS Eastings: 397315

OS Northings: 364636

OS Grid: SJ973646

Mapcode National: GBR 23Q.LNH

Mapcode Global: WHBC3.MC0D

Entry Name: Stable Block Approximately 20 Metres North East of Hall

Listing Date: 20 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275275

Location: Heaton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK11

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Heaton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Rushton Spencer St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Allgreave

Listing Text

HEATON C.P. SWYTHAMLEY PARK
SJ 96 SE
SJ 973 646
5/66 Stable block approximately
- 20m north-east of Hall

GV II

Stable block retaining portions dated 1691 and 1697, substantially altered
and dated 1860. Red and yellow coursed sandstone; low-pitched hipped
slate roof. Of 'U'-plan, with enclosed yard to rear. Classic symmetrical
frontage; moulded eaves band. 2 storeys; 2:1:2 bays in relatively long,
low frontage, outer blind round-headed windows with mid-point string to
ground floor, plain square windows to first floor and two new windows
set to left of ground floor; 2-light casements; slight central pedimented
break over elliptical coach-arch on impost string; clock in tympanum,
ogee-domed cupola behind, standing on corner piers. Datestone inscribed
"PLB 1860" (Phillip Lancaster Brocklehurst) to keystone of coach arch.
Side elevations of 3 bays of similar treatment and with 2 datestones to
north-east side to ground floor far left inscribed WN
and cavetto labelled to first floor right 16 WTC 97
inscribed WN both relating to a period wnen the estate
W 1691 N was owned by the Trafford family.


Listing NGR: SJ9731564636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.