This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0528 / 52°3'10"N
Longitude: 1.1609 / 1°9'39"E
OS Eastings: 616816
OS Northings: 244096
OS Grid: TM168440
Mapcode National: GBR VP7.6B8
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.2NKP
Entry Name: Cobbolds on the Quay Public House
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Last Amended: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275460
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Clement with St Luke
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
642/4/62A WHERRY QUAY
19-DEC-51 COBBOLDS ON THE QUAY PUBLIC HOUSE
(Formerly listed as:
OUTBUILDINGS AT THE REAR OF NUMBERS 80
(Formerly listed as:
Also Known As: 7, WHERRY QUAY
Public house, formerly kiln part of maltings. Late C18/early C19 with earlier origins and later alterations. Red brick with pantile roof. 2 storeys. Front to Wherry Quay has pair of glazed doors on both floors to left and 2 casements over low access door to right. Large kiln vent on roof. Left side has weatherboarded gable ends and is mainly blank. Right side adjoins the warehouse complex at 80 and 80A Fore Street (q.v.), in relation to which it is known as the 'kiln block'.
INTERIOR. Conversion has been made for present use but circular kiln dates from late C18 or early C19 when the complex was used as a maltings. Kiln has a furnace with two fire holes and a baffle constructed of metal framing with perforated tiles. The kiln floor is of perforated tiles while the kiln hood is of lath and plaster on a light metal frame suspended from the roof of the ceiling. There is evidence that the kiln was inserted into an existing building and this reinforces the suggestion that the conversion of the complex to a maltings caused much piecemeal rebuilding and some demolition.
This public house was formerly part of the warehouse complex at Nos. 80 and 80A Fore Street (q.v.) and forms part of that exceptional group of buildings.
Listing NGR: TM1679644109
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings