This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0766 / 53°4'35"N
Longitude: -0.9513 / 0°57'4"W
OS Eastings: 470349
OS Northings: 353776
OS Grid: SK703537
Mapcode National: GBR BK4.0BJ
Mapcode Global: WHFHF.CX7S
Entry Name: South Muskham Prebend
Listing Date: 11 September 1961
Last Amended: 20 May 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374854
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242338
Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Southwell
Built-Up Area: Southwell
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
1919-0/11/47 (North side)
11/09/61 South Muskham Prebend
(Formerly Listed as:
Former prebendal house of South Muskham, now an old people's
home. Mid C15, remodelled early C18 and c1800. Rear addition
in sympathetic style, 1954. Formerly timber framed, now brick,
rendered and colourwashed, with stone dressings and slate and
concrete tile roofs. 2 storeys, 1-4-1 windows, H-plan
preserving the form of central hall with parlour and service
wings. Small plinth to front, coped gables, 2 external side
wall stacks, 2 ridge stacks. Windows are glazing bar sashes.
Recessed centre has a full width early C19 verandah with cast
iron posts and crest. Beneath it, C20 glazed door to left, and
3 windows to its right. Beyond, in each wing, a single window.
Interior has in the left wing a high quality C15 collar purlin
roof with castellated king posts, and remains of a timber
framed gable. Central hallway has an early C18 cantilevered
stair with moulded string and fluted and twisted balusters and
scrolled handrail. Rearranged C17 panelling with chip carving
and 4 marquetry panels. Right wing has on the first floor an
Adam style wooden fireplace with corniced stone mantelshelf.
The collar purlin roof is unusual in the east midlands. The
house was leased from the late C18 by John Thomas Becher,
builder of Hill House (qv), and remained in the Becher family
almost continuously till 1916. This building is one of the 9
remaining prebendal houses formerly attached to Southwell
(Norman Summers: A Prospect of Southwell: London: 1974-:
Listing NGR: SK7034953776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings