This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0506 / 53°3'2"N
Longitude: -2.3475 / 2°20'51"W
OS Eastings: 376800
OS Northings: 350426
OS Grid: SJ768504
Mapcode National: GBR 026.MBT
Mapcode Global: WH9BD.XL96
Entry Name: Hall O' the Wood
Listing Date: 2 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273290
Location: Balterley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW2
Civil Parish: Balterley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Barthomley St Bertoline
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BALTERLEY C.P. A.52 (north side)
SJ 75 SE
4/11 Hall o' the Wood
House. Late C16, considerably restored in subsequent years. Timber
framed with plastered infill panels and some brick rebuilding, especially
to the rear, graded stone tile roof; brick ridge stacks to hall range
and south wing and integral lateral stack to north wing with lozenge
section shafts. Formerly H-plan: hall range aligned north-south facing
west with a projection within each of the western re-entrant angles with
the crosswings, and to the south. 2 storeys with coved eaves. Symmet-
rical front: recessed centre flanked by inner gabled projections and
outer gabled crosswings. The former have 3 overhangs, twisted colonettes
to the ground storeys, and roll moulded first floor rails. The right
hand projection has a door in its left hand return. Decorative framing
including herringbone pattern bracing and quatrefoil panels; closely
spaced studs and long straight tension braces to the sides; king-post
roof trusses. Ovolo-moulded mullion windows and casements with leaded
panes. Contemporary annexe to the right on the same alignment as the
hall range. Crenellated rainwater head to the left dated 1922. Interior.
C19/early C20 staircase in the south-west projection with chapel above.
Massive fireplace in the south wing with heavily moulded bressumer.
Listing NGR: SJ7680050426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings