History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoxne, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3497 / 52°20'58"N

Longitude: 1.1938 / 1°11'37"E

OS Eastings: 617617

OS Northings: 277201

OS Grid: TM176772

Mapcode National: GBR VKL.NN6

Mapcode Global: VHL9G.M6ZL

Entry Name: Stable Block

Listing Date: 14 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374913

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281061

Location: Hoxne, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hoxne

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hoxne St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 17 NE
7/120 Stable Block

Stable court to Oakley Park. Circa 1825, probably by Sydney Smirke who
remodelled the house at this time for Sir Edward Kerrison. Red brick,
stuccoed and ashlar-lined. Slated roof. Quadrangular plan. One storey with
lofts. Symmetrical main front, facing south. To each side of the entrance
are 3 arched recesses above a plinth with V-jointed rustication. Plain end
piers. Entrance set slightly forward: flanking piers, semi-circular archway
with V-jointed rustication, original paired 3-panelled gates. In front of the
entrance piers are octagonal plinths about 2m high, presumably for sculpture.
All piers have a dentil course. Continuous moulded cornice; flat parapet,
also with cornice (damaged). Above the entrance is a square clock tower
supported by consoles, on a 2-stepped base. Each face has a keyed arched
opening containing a clock face and louvres. Pointed domed roof, all
stuccoed, with onion finial. To rear, a narrower archway with original paired
gates. Each side of courtyard has a central gable, 2 with matching arched
recesses below. Ground floor windows altered, first floor 2-light casements
mostly intact. Oakley Park stood immediately to the south east and was pulled
down in 1923-4.

Listing NGR: TM1761777201

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.