History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding to Southover Manor and Arches to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8689 / 50°52'7"N

Longitude: 0.0043 / 0°0'15"E

OS Eastings: 541130

OS Northings: 109620

OS Grid: TQ411096

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.FWR

Mapcode Global: FRA B6WS.ZDV

Entry Name: Outbuilding to Southover Manor and Arches to South

Listing Date: 29 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374945

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293379

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4109 NW
14/349

LEWES

SOUTHOVER HIGH STREET
(south side)
Southover

Outbuilding to Southover
Manor and arches to south

GV
II

Stables and arches to south, now school-building. Dated 1862 to south and
1845 on arch. Flint with red and blue brick quoins and dressings on coursed
dressed stone plinth. Moulded brick cornice to hipped slate roof with three
skylights to north. 2 storeys; 4 window front, quoined red brick surrounds with
rendered cills and segment-heads. Entrance to south. Attached to east 4 red
brick gatepiers, rusticated, with scroll-topped supporters and moulded stone
copings. Wider central opening with paired boarded doors and narrower side-
openings with coped segment-headed arches, to left blocked. Wings to south ending
in brick archway with further arch attached to south-west of flint with moulded
stone dressings With stiff-leaf carving, reused from the Priory.


Listing NGR: TQ4113009620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.