This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7951 / 53°47'42"N
Longitude: -1.5361 / 1°32'9"W
OS Eastings: 430658
OS Northings: 433301
OS Grid: SE306333
Mapcode National: GBR BLM.LB
Mapcode Global: WHC9D.CVSY
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 September 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465926
Location: Leeds, LS2
Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Leeds City
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
714-1/79/229 (South side)
26/09/63 Parish Church of St Peter
Church. 1839-41, altered 1870-80. By RD Chantrell; Dr WF Hook,
vicar; alterations to east end 1870-80. Ashlar, slate roofs.
PLAN: equal-length chancel and nave, both with clerestories
and tall aisles; massive tower at centre of north aisle,
shallow chancel apse, low outer north aisle, south transept.
In Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: main entrance below tower: massive oak doors,
original ironwork. Generally Perpendicular tracery, 5-light
east window, crocketed pinnacles, turrets at corners. Tower:
panelled sides, clock by Potts of Leeds, tall 2-light belfry,
openwork battlements, crocketed pinnacles.
INTERIOR: entry is into the crossing ; a long chancel with
steps up to sanctuary, crossing and transepts lierne-vaulted
and apse fan vaulted all in plaster. Arcades with moulded
arches. Enormous galleries along nave and chancel; decorated
canopies throughout, especially chancel stalls. Much use of
plaster painted to imitate stone/wood.
East end: sanctuary marble arcade with fine mosaic work by
Salviati of Venice, life-size figures of 12 apostles; reredos
of coloured marble and alabaster by GE Street representing
Christ in Glory flanked by saints, cartoons by Clayton and
Bell and executed by Rust, 1888. East window contains glass
collected on the continent by J Summers and given to the
church 1846. Panelled memorial tomb of Dr Hook, Dean of
Chichester, by Sir G Gilbert Scott, 1875.
(Sprittles, J: Leeds Parish Church History and Guide).
Listing NGR: SE3065933302
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings