History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clerk of Works House, Horseshoe Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Shoeburyness, Southend-on-Sea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5276 / 51°31'39"N

Longitude: 0.7908 / 0°47'26"E

OS Eastings: 593684

OS Northings: 184653

OS Grid: TQ936846

Mapcode National: GBR RR4.2S0

Mapcode Global: VHKHN.NVFV

Entry Name: Clerk of Works House, Horseshoe Barracks

Listing Date: 8 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469555

Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3

County: Southend-on-Sea

Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness

Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Southend-on-Sea

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/09/2014


TQ 98 SW
840-0/5/10056

SOUTHEND ON SEA, Shoebury Garrison,
WARRIOR SQUARE (East side),
No. 9 (Clerk of Works House, Horseshoe Barracks)

(Formerly listed as No 5 (Clerk of Works House, Horseshoe Barracks))

GV II


Officer's house at British School of Gunnery. c1861. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads, brick stacks, and slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-window range. Entrance front has projecting coped gable with finial and k11eelers one bay from the left, first-floor brick string and cill course. Left-hand entrance bay set back with a segmental-arched doorway with plate-glass overlight and 4-panel door; segmental-arched 2/2-pane sashes, with keys on the ground floor, the front gable has a wide shallow parapetted bay with a tripartite window with brick mullions, ground-floor tripartite windows to the right, to the first floor over the bay, and the left-hand side of the left-and return.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1861-: CTR 362-364; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).


Listing NGR: TQ9368484653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.