This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3752 / 51°22'30"N
Longitude: -0.0313 / 0°1'52"W
OS Eastings: 537122
OS Northings: 165852
OS Grid: TQ371658
Mapcode National: GBR KF.2SX
Mapcode Global: VHGRM.DPTN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376050
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470036
Location: Croydon, London, CR0
Electoral Ward/Division: Shirley
Built-Up Area: Croydon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Spring Park All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 36 NE BRIDLE ROAD
1005/3/10047 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish Church. 1955-6 by Curtis Green, Son and Lloyd. Handmade brick set in Flemish bond, sweeping tile roof, rendered interior. Square nave with four columns, western baptistry, and Eastern choir and sanctuary under low tower flanked to north by vestries and to the south by a long Lady chapel. Long lancet windows, with line of low windows under the big roofs to Lady chapel and vestries, the form of these repeated in the line of dormers in the roof. Spirelet to tower. The big porches continue low over the porches, two to north and south either side of the nave, which is treated with projecting gables in the manner of true transepts. South-western porch has glass depicting St George salvaged from St George, Canterbury, bombed in 1942 and the compensation from which paid for All Saints.
Interior with stone columns, supporting narrow arched vaults to main space and similar arcading to low aisles. Exposed rafters to star-shaped central roof space. Bench seating, stone font, hanging lights. Choir up two steps, with screen and pulpit, choir stalls and organ. Another step leads to altar rails and organ. Lady chapel defined by fluted stone columns, arranged as two central pairs with a third forming a pilaster surround to the altar. Curved plaster ceiling continues the form of the rendered walls. East window is triangular, and has glass by Frederick Cole of Wippells of Exteer, in memory of Lieutenant Ralph Stebbing RA. Forward altar set up a single step.
All Saints is the only post-war church by this important firm of designers, who combined traditional elements with modern simple forms in work which was always of high quality. This is a remarkably complete and well crafted composition which compares well with their listed work of the 1930s.
Listing NGR: TQ3712265852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings