History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Presbytery at St Marys Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Oulton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.918 / 52°55'4"N

Longitude: -2.1381 / 2°8'17"W

OS Eastings: 390810

OS Northings: 335630

OS Grid: SJ908356

Mapcode National: GBR 15K.07Z

Mapcode Global: WHBD7.4X3C

Entry Name: Presbytery at St Marys Abbey

Listing Date: 20 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470128

Location: Stone Rural, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone Rural

Built-Up Area: Oulton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Oulton St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text

SJ 93 NW STONE RURAL OULTON ROAD
Oulton
953/6/10035
Presbytery at St Mary's
Abbey

GV II

Presbytery to St Mary's Abbey. 1892. Coursed rock-faced stone with freestone dressings. Clay shaped tile roof with stone coped gable ends with apex cross. Stone axial stacks with weathered caps.
PLAN: Central entrance/stairhall with cross-wing on left [W], and attached to Chapel of St Mary's Abbey on right [E]. Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-bay south front. Projecting gabled cross-wing on left with 3-light stone Gothic windows with cusped pointed arch lights; similar 2-light window on first floor of gable on right, single storey wing projecting below; central porch with wooden braces supporting lean-to canopy, and two circular cusped windows and triangular dormer above. West elevation, on side of cross-wing, 2-light Gothic windows, first floor in small gables. At rear, north, projecting gables left and right with stone Gothic windows and two circular cusped windows between with triangular dormer in roof above.
INTERIOR appears to be largely intact. Entrance hall has moulded wooden pointed arch doorframes, and open-well staircase with turned balusters and newels with finials and pendants.

Listing NGR: SJ9081035630

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.