This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9167 / 52°55'0"N
Longitude: -1.4786 / 1°28'42"W
OS Eastings: 435159
OS Northings: 335605
OS Grid: SK351356
Mapcode National: GBR PJH.ZS
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.8Y5C
Entry Name: Serbian Orthodox Church of Apostles St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 11 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470505
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Derby
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Derby St Peter and Christ Church with Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 3535 DERBY NORMANTON ROAD
893/6/10060 Serbian Orthodox Church of
Apostles St Peter and
Parish church. 1839-40, chancel added 1865, with minor C20 alterations. Ashlar with ashlar dressings, and concrete tile roofs. Raised coped gables. Chamfered plinth. Nave with galleries, small chancel and ritual west tower with porch. Main facade has projecting central tower with angle buttresses and octagonal stone spire with a single set of lucarnes and a weather vane. Central double doors with pointed arch panels with above a 3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery and an inscription between recording that it was built as Christ Church. Above a square panel containing a circular clock with Tudor hood mould. Octagonal bell stage has a small single lancet opening to each major face. Both sides have pilaster buttresses at either end and 6 tall chamfered lancets. Additional chancel has 3 single lancet windows.
INTERIOR has side and west galleries supported on cast iron columns. Plaster ceilings with arched beams supported on moulded stone corbels. Late C19 bench pews, wooden pulpit and lecturn. Pointed chancel arch has painted inscription. Chancel has brass altar rail and wooden choir stalls.
Listing NGR: SK3515935604
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 26 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings